Orange peel and coriander seed in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindsor

Reaction score
Hello,
I am semi new to this. I am on my 5th batch and recently brewed a hoegaarden clone with some orange peel and coriander seeds. I have a conical fermenter and have been dumping the trub and I am now ready to bottle. I noticed there is a lot of debri floating around from the spices. I was wondering if there is a way to leave this behind and not get it into the bottling wand and thus into the bottles. Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!!:mug:

When I made a Coriander/Orange Zest Wheat all of my spice had settled to the bottom and I left them behind with the rest of the trub, I would imagine that you could siphon off from underneath anything that is floating into a bottling bucket. The only drawback is that the "angel's share" may be a bit higher for this batch, but a sacrifice to the brew-gods is always worth the beer blessing, right?

at this point i could do either. i assumed that siphoning to the bottling bucket would be the right move. i am open to suggestions

Hello amigos! I am a bit concerned ( and who begineer is not!) about my first batch of a Bluemoon clone, first as you know, the smell makes you think you got it infected, and I did not understand the instructions about to stir or not the corianser seeds and the orange peels before going to first fermenter, so I just let them floating there.. after 2 weeks I opened and got dissapointed because of the look of the yeast, I thought it was infected somehow.
I racked it leaving all solids behind, and the color was fine, identical to a Bluemoon, but when I tasted it, it was all spicy and bitter..kind of awful......(I used 3/4 oz of coriander and 1 oz orange peel for a 5glls batch)
My questions are:
a) for how long do you recommend to leave it on 2nd fermenter?
b) for how long do you recommend to have it bottled?
c) is the bad taste (bitter) going to improve after some time?

Thank you all!:confused:

swindsor said:
Hello,
I am semi new to this. I am on my 5th batch and recently brewed a hoegaarden clone with some orange peel and coriander seeds. I have a conical fermenter and have been dumping the trub and I am now ready to bottle. I noticed there is a lot of debri floating around from the spices. I was wondering if there is a way to leave this behind and not get it into the bottling wand and thus into the bottles. Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Any help would be appreciated.

No high tech answer for this but I'd think a strainer bag or nylon hop bag could be placed somewhere in line between your vessel and your bottle. For example, when I rack from my secondary (carboy) after dry hopping (I let loose hops float in carboy), I use an auto siphon and just sanitize a hop bag and zip tie, then zip tie the bag around the bottom of my siphon. Simple and has never clogged anything up for me.

I just did the same brew yesterday, one thing that I heard from an experienced brewer is that you want to make sure the Orange Peels are skin side down and floated on top after racked into the second fermentor, the fleshy sides tend to make it bitter...
what yeast did you use? I used the self activating WYEAST brand for the Belgian Wit... I don't have much activity yet 24 hrs after brewing, the Ales I've done started up after just a few hours so I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe I didn't aerate properly? additionally it was sitting at about 63* what is a recommended fermentation temp?
Thanks

I just did the same brew yesterday, one thing that I heard from an experienced brewer is that you want to make sure the Orange Peels are skin side down and floated on top after racked into the second fermentor, the fleshy sides tend to make it bitter...
what yeast did you use? I used the self activating WYEAST brand for the Belgian Wit... I don't have much activity yet 24 hrs after brewing, the Ales I've done started up after just a few hours so I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe I didn't aerate properly? additionally it was sitting at about 63* what is a recommended fermentation temp?
Thanks

Did you allow the smack pack to expand? Did you make a starter. I usually make a yeast starter even when using a smack pack. 63* is a good temperature if you can maintain it by not letting it dip down into the 50s.

WarWeazl said:
Did you allow the smack pack to expand? Did you make a starter. I usually make a yeast starter even when using a smack pack. 63* is a good temperature if you can maintain it by not letting it dip down into the 50s.

It expanded a bit, but I popped it, shook it and poured it, Guess I rushed that part, but it was room temp when I did it.

Well now at 36 hours after brew, its in newa location change to 66* and wrapped in a towel it has taken off nicely,

image-278173223.jpg

Take a nylon muslin bag and put it over the end of your racking cain. Be sure not to let teh opening of the back go below the suraface of the beer. I usually grab the drawstring of the bag and hold onto it to keep the bag in place. Syphon as normal. I do this for dry hopped bears and it works perfect.

caioz1jp said:
Take a nylon muslin bag and put it over the end of your racking cain. Be sure not to let teh opening of the back go below the suraface of the beer. I usually grab the drawstring of the bag and hold onto it to keep the bag in place. Syphon as normal. I do this for dry hopped bears and it works perfect.

When dry hopping, I assume the hops should be boiled prior to adding to a fermenter similar to priming sugar??

When dry hopping, I assume the hops should be boiled prior to adding to a fermenter similar to priming sugar??

No. For the priming sugar it is for sanitation but also heat energy will allow the sugar molecules to disassociate into solution easier and faster. You don't boil the hops because you are adding them for aroma and flavor. Boiling reduces the aroma and flavor and creates more bitter. For the most part when adding to a secondary most food products are sanitary. You also have pH and alcohol working in your favor against infection.

Finally I had throw away The full batch...bad taste never went away....possibly got a infection somehow....or recipe had to much spices....it was awfully bitter like a rotten orange peel :(

Back