Orange Heffe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a heffeweizen in a few days. I was going to use a standard heffe recipe (5 lbs wheat lme, 1 lb light lme, 1oz hallertau, 1oz cascade) but I want it to have just a hint of orange flavor. Should I throw a bunch of fresh orange slices right in the fermenter? Or is there a more efficient/less messy way of adding some citrus flavor.

Just zest an orange (take the orange skin off but not deep into the white) with a cheese grater. Then add that at flame out and you should get a nice zip of orange in the nose. If you want orange flavor, I would say just add a slice of orange to your cold beer. Although some would see this as sac-relig

I want a little more flavor than just the orange zest. Would adding some OJ to the secondary work? Or is fresh fruit/puree the best way to go?

You could also try sweet orange peel, it is available at most brew shops. They usually sell by the ounce and recommend 1/2oz near the end of the boil. You could just dump the whole ounce in.

OJ will ferment and give it a nasty flavor. Sweet orange peel is a good call or look at some extracts at the grocery store, in the spice section. That will give you the baby asprin orange flavor. You can sweat oranges in a container with grain alcohol and make your own essence or you could add a health dose of triple sec.

Here is what I recommend....no LME, just do 6 lbs. wheat DME with 1oz hallertau at 60. This makes a better tasting and lighter colored hefe. Second, use a good liquid yeast WP300 or Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan. Then add one of these flavorings to the bottling bucket:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16745/102194

they come in cherry, apricot, peach, raspberry, boysenberry, cranberry, or blueberry. Unfortunatley , no orange for you though.

If it has to be orange, I would do the sweet orange peel:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15601/

but it may be a little of a "thick" orange flavor. It compares to grand marnier.

I just bottled my Orange Heffe. I pealed 6 oranges and added them at the last 15 min of the boil. I then too and sliced the 6 oranges and added them to my primary. I did this before I was told about the white skin being bitter. When I racked to my secondary I pulled the orange slices out.

I tasted it tonight and it tasted ok but I think I might just brew it and add an extract at bottleing next time. I'll let you know in 3 weeks!!

Look at my recipes, yeah, it's the only one I have posted thus far. I will post more one of these days.
Thinking about adding my Strawberry Heffe to it. All weekend a few of my buddies were giving me crap for not bringing any of it to our camping trip. They really wanted more of it.

I've had good results adding orange zest at flameout.

As an aside, has anyone used the cranberry extract flavoring from Kayos' link above?

puravida286 said:
I want a little more flavor than just the orange zest. Would adding some OJ to the secondary work? Or is fresh fruit/puree the best way to go?

I used the zest of 2 lemons in the boil for 60 minutes, and the zest of 3 lemons in secondary in a wheat, and it had a ton of lemon flavor. I would stick with the zest, and not use as much as I did. It was good, but a little overpowering. I'm planning on trying it with orange zest in an IPA next.

Back