Fruit Beer Orange Cow Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikvolkert

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
fairly low
Color
light, not sure of SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @ 45F - 34F
Additional Fermentation
nope
Tasting Notes
A smooth, slightly sweet easy drinker with a touch of orange flavor.
I had a Northern brewer Speckled Heifer kit sitting around and couldn't leave well enough alone, decided to scale it up to 6 gallons and add a bunch of my own ingredients to come up with this beer, which in my opinion, turned out great.

5.5 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
9 oz Carapils
4 oz Flaked Barley
4 oz Flaked Maize
4 oz Flaked Oats
2 oz Vienna Malt
2 large handfulls Rice Hulls
1 lb Table Sugar - add @ flameout
3.15 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup - add prior to bringing wort up to boil
1 oz Cluster(7.2%AA) @ 45min
0.25 oz Cluster(7.2%AA) @ 15min
0.75 oz Fresh Navel Orange Peel @ 10min (use a knife and try to avoid getting much of the white pith)
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings (5.7%AA) @ 5min
1 packet rehydrated US-05 pitched at 62F

Mashed at 152F for 70 min, then mashout at 168F for 10 min.
For my system I mashed with 3.5 gallons, then batch sparged with 2.5 gallons at 168F, and then batch sparged again at 168F until I reached my 7 gallon preboil volume. Next time I will probably do this all grain and only need to sparge once.
Boiled for 60 minutes.
Fermented at 62F for two weeks, racked to secondary and dropped to 45F, then dropped temperature one or two degrees per day until at 34F for a month.

Wow nice write up, im just starting to look into homebrewing myself. How do you manage to control your temps?

I'm assuming you are referring to fermentation temps, I use a chest freezer with an inkbird controller (about 30 bucks on amazon).

If you were referring to mash temps, I can direct fire my mashtun (keggle with a false bottom), but if you use a cooler setup then you would add some (not sure how much) boiling water to get from 152 to 168.

Back