Optimum Temps vs Temperature Range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccabedoug

Reaction score
One can find the usable/suggested temperature ranges for yeasts on the various manufacturers' websites (e.g., Wyeast, White Labs, etc.) as well as on each package, but is there a single site/reference that lists the optimal temp/range for a given yeast?

Not sure there is an "optimal temp". Different temps within the suggested range will give you different results. Depends on what you want from the yeasts and from that, you zone in on a specific area within the range. Generally, if you want fruity esters, you ferment toward the high end. If you want a cleaner profile, you ferment toward the lower end. That's not always the case, but seems to be more often than not.

I would say the suggested temperature ranges are the optimal temperature ranges. I think Brewer's Friend gives you the temp ranges when you select the yeast you are using when you're building a recipe. They have pretty much every yeast out there in the drop down.

Not sure there is an "optimal temp". Different temps within the suggested range will give you different results. Depends on what you want from the yeasts and from that, you zone in on a specific area within the range. Generally, if you want fruity esters, you ferment toward the high end. If you want a cleaner profile, you ferment toward the lower end. That's not always the case, but seems to be more often than not.

Agreed. For instance, from Wyeast's website for 1056: "Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations."

Take this info and say, do I want mild citrus notes in the beer I am planning? Adjust accordingly.

Back