Opps - lid was left on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR34TM3NT

Reaction score
Last night we started an AG pumpkin ale... Long story short...I handed off duties after the mash and due to some miscommunication on my part, the lid was left on the kettle during the boil.

It's in the primary and already ticking like crazy. With 20lbs of 2-row/victory, is it safe to assume the DMS trapped from the boil is going to kill the flavor of this batch?

Might, might not. It may be fine but could take a good while to clear the DMS, I would do a long primary and a long secondary, like months.

Was hoping to have this batch ready in time for a halloween party... guess I'll make a new one this weekend to be safe.

I just put this batch into secondary a few days ago.... definitely had a nasty DMS flavor.

Do you guys think this will actually clear out over a few/several months?

(Thankfully, I expected this one to be bad so I made another batch, which also went in secondary and tastes fine... so i'm good on that front.)

I just put this batch into secondary a few days ago.... definitely had a nasty DMS flavor.

Do you guys think this will actually clear out over a few/several months?

(Thankfully, I expected this one to be bad so I made another batch, which also went in secondary and tastes fine... so i'm good on that front.)

Good job on brewing another batch.

I found this on the internet as a way to get rid of DMS. Having never had any problems with it (plus no kegging system), I can't vouch for its effectiveness:

Generally, if you keep your boil vigorous and cool rapidly, DMS levels will be appropriate for style. However, the DMS level may still be too high for your taste. If you keg your beer, you can artificially scrub out DMS using CO2. This is best done before carbonating. If you have a lager, allow it to warm to room temperature first. Then, switch around the ball-lock fittings on your keg so they are backwards. Hook up the long dip tube (labeled "out") to the CO2 tank. Prop open the pressure relief and let the CO2 bubble through the beer. Slow down if it starts to foam out. Occasionally sniff the gas as it exits the keg valve. You should be able to smell the DMS at first, and then notice it fading with time. After the level has dropped, switch the ball locks back to their usual configuration. Then carbonate as usual.

http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/dms.htm

Back