Opinions, Please: $35 Turkey Fryer Kit?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathMan

Reaction score
Well, I have seen several similar cheap turkey friers posted on here, but This clearence price surprises me. I'm really considering this if nothing else as a starting point so SWMBO can get me out of the kitchen. I'm currently only extract brewing with a 3gal stockpot and most larger pots cost much more than this kit in the first place.

So, I'm just asking for a quick opinion from everyone before going ahead with the purchase (my main concern is the brand, "Mr. Outdoor"). Thanks in advance!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-O...469.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dturkey%2Bfry er%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=turkey+fryer&WTz_l=Header%3BSea rch-All+Products

Ok, but assuming I'm ok with the button thing to insure uniterupted gas flow, it seems fine? My concern is more with the wieght that the stand can handle. Also, I'm primarily looking for a larger brew pot and this seems to fit the bill. As long as it'll work decently, I'm fine with a few concessions for $35. I know this won't be the last equipment for awhile, I'm just looking for a slight upgrade and the wife wouldn't be disappointed if the house no longer "smells like beer" on brew day.

It will work just fine. Those pots tend to be thin so direct heating the mash is something you will need to do very carefully. Other than that, it's all good.

Ok, but assuming I'm ok with the button thing to insure uniterupted gas flow, it seems fine? My concern is more with the wieght that the stand can handle. Also, I'm primarily looking for a larger brew pot and this seems to fit the bill. As long as it'll work decently, I'm fine with a few concessions for $35. I know this won't be the last equipment for awhile, I'm just looking for a slight upgrade and the wife wouldn't be disappointed if the house no longer "smells like beer" on brew day.

The weight will be fine. They are designed to hold hot oil and a turkey. That will weigh as much as a batch of beer.

I just bought one with the "safety" switch. It actually has a manual and auto switch on the controller so you can bypass this safety feature. I got it at Menards. Saf-t-cooker or something. 35 qt pot with drain valve built in.

I do not know why people are so concerned with the timers. I put a zip tie holding mine down and it works fine.

Bought the exact one from Cabelas. A lot sturdier than I though it would be...bonus pot and temp gauge was a no brainer in my opinion...burner isn't the greatest I'm using it for my HLT.

I also bought the bayou classic sp1 off amazon for $35 haven't tried it yet but looks like I should do fine

brewmadness said:
I just bought one with the "safety" switch. It actually has a manual and auto switch on the controller so you can bypass this safety feature. I got it at Menards. Saf-t-cooker or something. 35 qt pot with drain valve built in.

I have this exact turkey fryer. I have done 2 AG batches with it so far. Works great. Gets 7 gallons boiling pretty darn quick

Before you pay out any hard earned cash, check out the reviews.
I wouldn't waste $35 on a product where 75% of them appear to be shipped in a damaged condition, or with parts missing.
I guess you get what you pay for.

-a.

I got mine at Target for $45 and it has all the same stuff but way heavier duty 4 legged stand. As for the timer i just taped it so it can't rotate. And ya all the pots in those kits are pretty thin metal, but take it slow and should be fine. We use ours for canning to in the summer so we don't heat up the house.

I'm getting it shipped to a local store, so there is no shipping charge. I figure if it is inadequate I can always return it (I have had good luck with this retailer and returns). Anyway, I bought it tonight and can pick it up in a week or two. My only remaining question is, what is the volume of the pot? It says it can fry up to an 18lb turkey and another manufacturer says they recommend a 42gal pit for that size turkey! That's a bit much for my extract brews!

EDIT: That is 42 QUARTS, not Gallons.

I do not know why people are so concerned with the timers. I put a zip tie holding mine down and it works fine.

i agree, i have a fryer with the safety device. i just attached a bungee cord to one of the legs around the timer dial and back to the same leg..

I opened up the box that the timer was in and bypassed it. Easy Peasy

EDIT: But then again, my timer wasn't inline on the propane hose...

An update, I just picked up the kit and I'm not at all pleased with the pot. It has dents and even scratches on the inside of the pot. My idea when buying this kit was a pot, with a free burner, but that's obviously not the case. I know scratches can/will hold bacteria and my questions are
1. Would these scratches/indentions be a problem in the brew pot? or just the fermenter/secondary/bottling bucket?
2. For those who have bought/looked at it, would this burner be worth keeping for $35?
Again, though I plan to, I have yet to go all grain and don't care to store an extra pot to later use as an HLT, so if the burner isn't a great deal I'm probably going to take it back. Thanks in advance!

Those scratches can't harbor bacteria at boiling temps, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that.
The burner is "OK", but not a steal for $35. It looks a little flimsy to me, but you have it, so you'll have to be the judge of that one.

Hey, can you hurry and try it out before Monday? I'm supposed to pick mine up from Cabela's Monday.;)

I tried it out today...worked fine for my five gallon all-grain batch. Doesn't look sturdy but it is. Wasn't the fastest at getting a boil...about 20 minutes.

Mine didn't have any dings or scratches...I did buy mine directly from the store so maybe there warehouse care sucks????

I also used the bayou classic sp1 that I got from Amazon.....gets hot very quickly....but you go through gas quickly...almost a half a tank.

I will question this for a 10 gallon boil with a Keggle. I'm in the process making some keggles and I'm not convince this will get the job done...without some modifications

Good to hear! I've done exactly one brew so far. Boiled over. What a mess. Instantly decided turkey fryer was the way to go.
And glad to hear you were able to do an all grain with it. From what I read on here, I thought that wouldn't be possible.:mug:

Back