Opinions on WY1098 starter.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhistory

Reaction score
I started my starter for 1 pack of wy1098 last night around 8. Watching various video's, especially from Mr. Malty, it recommends that you stop the process around 18 hours. Others say let it go for 24. My little friends are still eating away just shy of 16 hours. I am stepping up from 100 Bill to 300 bill and want to make sure I don't miss any windows.

When do you plan to brew? I usually let mine go from 18-24 hours and then put in the fridge overnight to settle out the yeast. Before pitching, I'll try to decant off as much of the starter beer as possible, let the starter warm up to within about 10F of pitching temps and then swirl and pitch. IMO the difference between 18 and 24 hours is splitting hairs. If you are trying to get a stalled batch to start up again, pitching earlier while the yeast are still quite active is the way to go.

Kaz said:
When do you plan to brew? I usually let mine go from 18-24 hours and then put in the fridge overnight to settle out the yeast. Before pitching, I'll try to decant off as much of the starter beer as possible, let the starter warm up to within about 10F of pitching temps and then swirl and pitch. IMO the difference between 18 and 24 hours is splitting hairs. If you are trying to get a stalled batch to start up again, pitching earlier while the yeast are still quite active is the way to go.

I don't really have a strict time to brew, kinda brewing as a secondary to learning how to make a starter. Ill probably brew on Wednesday or Thursday. Still have to step up the yeast.

Latest posts

Back