Opinions on Brett Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brewed a Golden Promise SMaSH exactly 8 days ago, fermented with a neutral ale yeast (1332) at around 66F.

My plan was to make it a Brett smash, by likely should have added the Brett sooner.

Using The Yeast Bay Amalgamation 100% Brett blend. Just over 1 month old. I want a pretty good Brett character with this one.

A few questions, Any opinions welcome.
Rack off the original trub, then pitch Brett? Or just pitch?

Should I pitch a starter of the Brett, or just the vial? (Starter recommended by the man behind The Yeast Bay, Nick)

Using a swamp cooler right now, should I cool using that once pitched, and for how long. Or just let it do its thing at 69 F ambient?

After the Brett has done its thing (extra attenuation) I plan to rack to a keg for aging. How long till I should start delving into this creation? Not sure as this is my first real Brett experience, only other time was with a Yeast Bay Funktown primary fermentation (Vermont ale and Brett blend aged for 2 months).

Sorry, that was a lot of questions, any opinions greatly appreciated. Cheers guys. :mug:

I don't know about that blend in particular, but it's pretty common to just pitch the vial as a secondary yeast. It stresses the brett some and helps bring out some of the fruity character.
I've just begun messing with brett this year and I like the results I've gotten from pitching the vial as secondary.

I would rack off the trub because I would be leaving it in the secondary for 4-6 months or more, depending on gravity readings. High 60's would be just fine, IMO. I've brought mine up to mid 70's for secondary.
I've kegged two of mine so far. They went into the kegerator on a party tap and I grab a few glasses a week so the kegs last a while. I start trying it after a week or so in there.

Anyway, thats what I have done. The beers have been really good.

Back