Opinion about iodine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
A friend of mine uses iodine for sterilization. I do as well, but he does not rinse equipment off with water before he uses the equipment. I always rinse mine, but tasting his beer I don't taste any off flavors and his beer is great.

What do you guys do for sterilization?:)

True....I am just curious about rinsing equipment in water before using in wort etc...

I used iodopher prior to Starsan. Iodopher (iodine) is a no rinse sanitizer if mixed properly . I believe it was one cap full per 5 gallons this amount is dependent on the bottle size qt bottle has a larger cap than the pint .Never had any off taste when I used it. Starsan is just easier to use and will stay active a lot longer when mixed with RO or distilled water.

Unless you are using boiled water to rinse why sanitize then undo it ? chances are you would have no problems rinsing but why take any chance .

No point in rinsing if you are using properly diluted Iodophor. I switch between Iodophor and Starsan and never rinse. Thats really most of the appeal behind a no rinse sanitizer.

I am an Iodophor man all the way. StarSan always hurt my hands when I touched it. Iodophor on the other hand (no pun intended) cures my cuts on brew day.

But definitely do not rinse after sanitizing. That water you're rinsing with likely is not sanitary. I try to pour out the sanitizer once then twice, because I understand iodine to be an oxidizer (whatever exactly that means, it doesn't sound good for beer), but if a little gets into the mix, then I RDWHAHB.

Back