Opening my brewing bucket in the first stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednas

Reaction score
Newbie question: I'm brewing an extract tripel. It's in the first stage of fermenting (10 days is recommended by the manufacturer), right now it's on day 4.
There's a water lock on the brewing bucket to prevent dust/dirt from getting in.

So, does it do any harm if I open the bucket before those 10 days are finished? I basically want to check if everything looks ok, and if there's no infections or anything.

Thanks!

No real harm but just wait because that is how infections can happen. Try to give it 7 days before you open it. I bet it is okay. Basically, my rule of thumb is to not open fermenters without purpose. If I'm not taking a gravity reading or adding something, I have no purpose in opening the fermenter. Proper yeast pitching and temps make me believe that things will be okay. Also, I've moved to mostly clear fermenters...so that helps my curiosity. ;)

Shine a bright light through the side of your bucket. You should be able to see the liquid level and some foam (called krausen) stuck to the side of the bucket above the liquid. If you have krausen, everything is going well and you won't need to open the bucket until the ferment is over. You mention 10 days in the first stage which leads me to believe you plan to secondary. Many of us have quit using secondaries as the beer will clear just as well in the primary and it leaves less chance to oxidize the beer or introduce an infection. Leaving it on the yeast longer also gives the yeast more time to clean up the byproducts of the fermentation.

Shine a bright light through the side of your bucket. You should be able to see the liquid level and some foam (called krausen) stuck to the side of the bucket above the liquid. If you have krausen, everything is going well and you won't need to open the bucket until the ferment is over. You mention 10 days in the first stage which leads me to believe you plan to secondary. Many of us have quit using secondaries as the beer will clear just as well in the primary and it leaves less chance to oxidize the beer or introduce an infection. Leaving it on the yeast longer also gives the yeast more time to clean up the byproducts of the fermentation.

Unfortunately, the bucket is not clear...in fact a light doesn't even help either.
I guess I'll just have to be patient then and hope for the best.

The 10 day period will be the only fermentation period in the bucket, after that I'll bottle. I don't have a proper second bucket so I couldn't even do a secondary, even if I wanted to. But good to know it's not necessary anyway :)

Unfortunately, the bucket is not clear...in fact a light doesn't even help either.

The 10 day period will be the only fermentation period in the bucket, after that I'll bottle. I don't have a proper second bucket so I couldn't even do a secondary, even if I wanted to. But good to know it's not necessary anyway :)

Hold on there bud, I would strongly advise NOT to bottle it at 10 days. Especially if you are dealing with something high OG like a tripel. That's just asking for bottle bombs.

Take your first gravity reading at 10 days, then another 2-3 days later. If they are completely the same, then you may be able to bottle. More than likely, youll need to wait a few more days. Generally the rule is if you get consecutive gravity over 2-3 days then its safe to bottle. If you bottle too early, the yeast will continue fermenting inside the bottle and they can blow. I'm not talking about the top like a champagne bottle being uncorked, I'm talking about along the side. Glass shards flying across the room, Very dangerous

Most of us here would recommend just leaving that beer in your bucket untouched for at least 3 full weeks. If you noticed CO2 through your airlock, then it was/is fermenting. So no real need to open it up and introduce oxygen. Leaving it in the bucket for 3-4 weeks (4 may be better) will ensure the yeast is fully done and that it has cleaned up all of the byproducts. By then a lot of the yeast will have dropped out of suspension too which is a good thing to let happen prior to bottling. Give the bucket some decent ambient room temps the last week or two to make sure it fully attenuates (22-24 C). Note this is assuming you used a Belgian yeast strain (which can be slower and like a little heat at the end). If you used normal ale yeasts, then no need to bump the temp and 3 weeks ought to be enough time.

If you're itching to get another batch going, go buy another bucket. Then you will really build that pipeline up nice. Cheers!

It sux not being able to see what's going on. It drives me crazy too!

As far as bottling after a 10 day ferment, I would suggest you take a gravity reading on day 10, assuming you have a hydrometer. Then take another reading on day 13. If there is no change in the gravity reading, you're ready to bottle!

Even if the bulk of the ferment is finished on day 10, it's good to give the yeasties a chance to clean up the beer. You'll be sure the ferment is done and will be rewarded with a clearer beer.

It sux waiting too doesn't it!?

Good luck!!

:mug:

BTW, It's going to be tough bottling from your primary without stirring up a bunch of sediment and bottling all that sediment with your beer. If you want a clear beer, you really do need a bottling bucket.

You would rack from your primary, using an auto siphon, into a bottling bucket with a spigot. Then you would bottle from there.

For peace of mind, if you really can't stand the suspense of fermentation doing its thing, you can remove the airlock and shine a small flashlight down the grommet hole and peek inside. Use good sanitation! Sanitize airlock, and replace.

You can easily take beer samples from a fermentation bucket without lifting the lid.

Sneak a skinny 1/4" (6mm) tube down the grommet hole where your airlock is, and siphon some beer out. You can use a turkey baster, or a quick suck by mouth, and drain enough beer in cup or glass to take a gravity reading. Make sure to pull the tube out of the beer and out of the hole quickly, so nothing flows back. Good sanitation is your friend.

You may want to try that method with a bucket and water to get the hang of it, before sticking it into your beer.

Take a hydrometer reading and taste the sample. Go from there.
Since it's a Triple, that beer needs at least 2-3 weeks before I would even touch it.

Keep the lid on all the time, or you risk needless infection and oxidation.
When the beer is truly done, and it is and you are ready to bottle, that's when you remove the lid:

• Sanitize the rim area from underneath like your life depends on it. Spray Starsan, or another good sanitizer you have, liberally
  • Do it again
  • Clean and spray around the whole top area at least 2 inches down from the rim
  • Clean and spray the lid
  • Then pry the lid off carefully, and remove smoothly and quickly in one motion. Try not to drip anything into your beer
  • You may wipe the bucket's rim with a damp clean washcloth soaked in sanitizer
  • Cover the open bucket with sanitized aluminum foil or plastic wrap

Then go on to the bottling process.

I guess I'm different. I peak all the time. Perhaps I should just use a carboy, but I enjoy the ease of cleaning with the bucket. I just peel back, look, and then push it back down. So far, so good.

I'd give it more like 6-8 weeks in primary before bottling if you're not going to secondary. Just a couple weeks probably isn't enough for a high gravity beer like a tripel.

Well I just went with the instructions which said 10 days (instructions: https://www.brouwland.com/en/step-by-step-instructions-brewferm). But I trust you guys since you have experience with it.

It went into the bucket on 1 November. From 14 till 24 November I will not be at home so I can bottle in that period anyway. Would it maybe be better to wait till after the 24th then, and check the gravity then?

I seems like my original reply was lost in space... :confused:

Anyway, what I wanted to add is: I won't be at home from 14 till 24 November, while I started the brewing process on 1 November. Perhaps it's best to leave it in the bucket till the 24th and do a gravity measurement then?

I seems like my original reply was lost in space... :confused:

Anyway, what I wanted to add is: I won't be at home from 14 till 24 November, while I started the brewing process on 1 November. Perhaps it's best to leave it in the bucket till the 24th and do a gravity measurement then?

You can check the gravity or open it whenever you want, as long as you are sanitary.

I'm not one to leave my beer in a bucket for weeks like some of the others above. I'd bottle the beer when it is done fermenting, has been done at least 3 days (or longer) and is clear. That may be 10 days, or it might be 21 days. Generally, I bottle most beers at about day 14 or so.

A tripel is a "big" beer, and aging it is important. It can age in the bottle just fine, though, and doesn't need to sit on the trub in the bucket for it to age well. My preference is less time on the trub, even if the beer needs some age but I don't bottle until the beer is clear (or clearing).

You can see that there are many brewers who do things a bit differently due to their equipment or there preferences, so there really isn't a "right" way to decide when to bottle. I don't like the flavor of a beer that has been in long contact with the yeast layer, while others do.

It still will be safe to bottle when the beer is finished, even if that is only 10 days. Hydrometer readings are the only way to know. Two readings, at least a couple of days apart, that are the same indicate fermentation is done. If the beer is very hazy, I would hold off on bottling even if it is done. If the second sample is fairly clear, without a lot of suspended debris, I would bottle it then.

You can check the gravity or open it whenever you want, as long as you are sanitary.

I'm not one to leave my beer in a bucket for weeks like some of the others above. I'd bottle the beer when it is done fermenting, has been done at least 3 days (or longer) and is clear. That may be 10 days, or it might be 21 days. Generally, I bottle most beers at about day 14 or so.

A tripel is a "big" beer, and aging it is important. It can age in the bottle just fine, though, and doesn't need to sit on the trub in the bucket for it to age well. My preference is less time on the trub, even if the beer needs some age but I don't bottle until the beer is clear (or clearing).

You can see that there are many brewers who do things a bit differently due to their equipment or there preferences, so there really isn't a "right" way to decide when to bottle. I don't like the flavor of a beer that has been in long contact with the yeast layer, while others do.

It still will be safe to bottle when the beer is finished, even if that is only 10 days. Hydrometer readings are the only way to know. Two readings, at least a couple of days apart, that are the same indicate fermentation is done. If the beer is very hazy, I would hold off on bottling even if it is done. If the second sample is fairly clear, without a lot of suspended debris, I would bottle it then.

Thanks. So you say you don't want the beer to be in long contact with the yeast layer, but wouldn't the yeast also end up in the bottle? Or should I siphon the beer out in a way that as little yeast as possible comes along? Or filter it, even?

Thanks. So you say you don't want the beer to be in long contact with the yeast layer, but wouldn't the yeast also end up in the bottle? Or should I siphon the beer out in a way that as little yeast as possible comes along? Or filter it, even?

You'll end up getting a bit of yeast no matter what, but it will settle more in the bottling bucket. But theres also the suspended yeast that you can't see which you need to carb your beer anyway. Just try not to get a ton of yeast when you siphon. The first 1-2 seconds of my siphon always look like yeast slurry anyway. Definitely dont filter it unless you have a kegging system with force carbonation

I'd check the gravity the day you leave. If its the same when you get back, you are definitely fine to bottle

Yooper and I differ on this issue. She wants her beer off the yeast, I want mine to stay on. I'll usually go 3 weeks or more with my longest being 9 weeks. My beers tasted good to me but maybe I'm not a very discriminating drinker. The beer that stayed on the yeast the longest had very little sediment in the bottle.

So...today I opened it for measurements.

This is what it looks like:
Za0B9IF.jpg

And this it:
puZc619.jpg

I measured the density and it's 1,020. What does that tell me?

Also: does it look normal? If I get another reading of 1,020 after a few days, I could bottle it?

wait..only time you should open it is if you need a hydro sample which can wait or if you are racking..let is be cheers

just realized i was too late 1020 means you are fermenting down..its a tripel dude let it sit..dont rush a tripel..if you want a quick turn around brew brew a cream ale or a dry stout..tripels need to chill out for a while

Well let me put it differently then: would it maybe be wise to wait till around 24th to bottle? Then it's been fermenting in the bucket for 23 days.

Well let me put it differently then: would it maybe be wise to wait till around 24th to bottle? Then it's been fermenting in the bucket for 23 days.

just remember that beer is done when its done it does not go by the calander..if your gravity is stable and not dropping your beer is done and ready for the next step even though you should let it hang out after primary for awhile to clean up

Latest posts

Back