Opening Brewery in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lawyer can.

A little tough love: if you aren't willing to read and re-read the public info until it makes sense, it is very unlikely you are prepared to put in the effort to open a brewery.

Wow, and a Merry Christmas to you too! You know, you could have just as easily not posted anything in this thread if all you had to contribute is negative comments. I just don't understand some people.....

Me too! I live in Over the Rhine where there used to be dozens of breweries back before prohibition. There are still tons of beautiful old brewery buildings standing that even have hand dug lagering cellars and secret tunnels beneath the buildings.
I would love to someday open a brewery in the neighborhood to help bring back OTRs brewing heritage.
Right now there's nothing in the neighborhood except a Sam Adams factory and a new Christian Morelein factory. No brewpubs at all. The area definitely has a void to fill. The only other microbrewers in the Cincinnati area are Mt. Carmel and Rivertown, both of which are located somewhere out in the suburbs:(
The Cincinnati brewing community needs to band together and put our city back on the map of being a brewing town.[/QUOTE

Yep, that would be great to bring OTR back to it's former glory. Just did the brewery tour a couple months ago. They took us into the tunnels underneath the Guildhouse on Vine Street. It was worth the trip. I live about 15-20 minutes from OTR up I-74. Bockfest really did a number on me last spring:)

Yep, that would be great to bring OTR back to it's former glory. Just did the brewery tour a couple months ago. They took us into the tunnels underneath the Guildhouse on Vine Street. It was worth the trip. I live about 15-20 minutes from OTR up I-74. Bockfest really did a number on me last spring:)

Dave, what tour is this and where can I find some info on it? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by dave5155
Yep, that would be great to bring OTR back to it's former glory. Just did the brewery tour a couple months ago. They took us into the tunnels underneath the Guildhouse on Vine Street. It was worth the trip. I live about 15-20 minutes from OTR up I-74. Bockfest really did a number on me last spring
Dave, what tour is this and where can I find some info on it? Thanks in advance.

sounds like a good time

Try GooglingCincinnati underground tour. If that doesn't get you anywhere let me know. Ill ask my cousin where he found tickets. It was only like $15.

The tour he is talking about is the OTR Brewery District Tour sometimes called the "Prohibition Resistance Tour." It usually is offered during our Bockfest weekend here the first weekend of March typically. Here are some links for you if you're interested, the second one has a couple of pics I took at the bottom of the page to see what we're talking about. I've also been on this tour (a couple of times actually) and it is pretty darn cool. Cincinnati has all sorts of historic brewing structures with the lagering tunnels and caverns he mentioned, plus not to mention all the beautiful, old architecture. Plus, Bockfest is a BLAST! So much good beer and food. If you're ever looking for an excuse to spend a couple days in Cincinnati, I highly recommend Bockfest weekend!

http://www.bockfest.otrbrewerydistrict.org/
http://www.otrbrewerydistrict.org/events_tour.php

Not to dig up an old thread, but I thought some of the conversation above with brewgineers meeting with the Ohio Govenor was interesting. The cost of licensing in OH is a little steep for very small operations and given Kasich's "common sense initiative" around making it easier to operate a business by reducing regulations in Ohio, I was wondering if anyone ever heard back from the govenor? I'm assuming not since my searches turned up nothing....

Ive actually only been to Belmont a few times for my brewering supplies what I cant get for a good price online i tend to goto main squeeze in yellow springs.

not much ever gets done with the first meeting. try contacting him again and wait for a response. if you don't hear anything again, send another, then another and then another until you hear back from him in some form, not just a 'thank you for contacting me' thing.

your state representative may be able to help...

Yeah that was my initial thought too, did you happen to follow-up with him? Who helped you setup the initial meeting? Your state rep? I agree the rep may be a good additional step...not that you should have to do this by yourself.

Brewgineers,

Thanks for starting this interesting thread. Hopefully you are still making progress toward your plan of opening a brewery. How long have you been home-brewing? Do you happen to know the laws in OH about selling home-brew online within and outside of OH?

jpann it is illegal to sell any brew in ohio unless you are licensed and insured as a brewery. homebrew can not be sold unfortunately.

I was just thinking,if some of us could get together (& had the $$$),we could get something going. I know I only do my "recombinant extracts",but you'd be surprised at how good they're getting. Especially the second bottle of Whiskely Ale I'm on now. 5.9%,feelin mellow. I need it lately,never mind why...:drunk::cross:

After reading many Ohio Laws, I dont see why you could not simply purchase "beer supplies" grains, extracts, etc and selling them to your potential customers. The twist being that for a nominal fee you will apply your expertise and brew it, ferment it, and bottle it for them. Obviously, this would not work well if you do want to distribute large amounts to bars and such. However if you wanted to sell some "supplies" to get that start up capital going you would most likley avoid most problems. Of course for a small fee or maybe even some beer you could trade an attorney to check your state laws and make sure it is kosher. ;)

Alright time to revive an old thread. Kasich has passed the law that breweries in Ohio can now have a tasting room at no additional charge. Which is killer because it used to be an additional $4000 for that permit. We do have most of our paperwork in order but one of our guys just got shipped out to duty and we are waiting for his leave in a few months to figure out what the future holds. Government has approved a great portion of our applications and just some more good ol' paperwork to go. Thanks everyone for all the support and lets get this thread going daily again!!!

Have you talked with the Toxic Brew guys working on a brewery and tasting room in the Oregon District?

I have not actually I've been swamped with school and work. I really need to set up a time that I can get with them and talk brew. Can't wait for their building to be ready.

Any helpful tips for someone looking to open a brewery in Columbus. For a while I thought that the taxes were too steep but this new law makes it much more appealing. What's the planned brewery set up? Any weird hang ups?

From what I've read in the Dayton paper, there's a new brewery under construction in Kettering. I wonder if this the same person? Also I read there's brewery/distillery in the planning stages in Yellow Springs. I haven't been to the Toxic Brewing Company yet, I guess I'm going have pay them a visit.

Since I started homebrewing in the late 80's I've seen a few brewerys/brewpubs in the Dayton area go under - Growler's, The Chickery, Thirsty Dog, Miami Trails, and Hops.
There's alot of reasons why these places failed and it wasn't becaused of the beers. Just because you can brew a good beer and have enough capitol to backup your brewery doesn't your going to be sucessful.

I enjoy reading about homebrewers who take their hobby to the next level, because I was one of these people (The Chickery). To many homebrewers who try to take it to the next level are not fully prepared what they have to accomplish to get their brewing license. The OP needs to update his status so the rest of the readers don't get the same opinion as two_one_seven.

Cheers Allan

Only a week now until The Dayton Beer Co. in Kettering is due to open its doors. It's pretty exciting to see the craft beer movement gaining momentum in Ohio and more importantly Dayton. I'm wishing them the best of luck.

As a Govt. contractor at WPAFB due to be unemployed come Oct. 1st, I have to admit my added interest in this emerging market here in Dayton. I would be very interest in becoming more involved in the current microbrewery openings or even those in the planning phase. I really feel it's time to do something I'm passionate about and to stop treading water working for someone else. From everything I've come across in my research of opening a microbrewery or brewpub it's becoming obvious its not something easily done alone.

Again, good luck to these new breweries in our area.

I am looking to open something on the nano scale in Cincinnati and would love to know how things are progressing with this.

A lil FYI,Thirsty Dog is running over in Akron now. My son got us some glasses & their Cerberus triple last month. Good stuff.

Any new updates on this? The new law is good, but not good enough I think. They really need to get the licensing down to a reasonable level for a microbrewery. I've been thinking for a long time about this & would like to start off small by selling to just a couple of local pubs & grow slowly into a brewpub. That kind of licensing makes this type of start-up a no-go.

Thanks!

This is a bit off subject but I would like to start selling homebrew supplies out of my garage. At some point I would like to have a brick and mortor for a LHBS that I can have beer samples and maybe sell a few brews as well. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on how to obtain a wholesale account at a place like LD Carlson or other wholesale suppliers without having a store front. Im ok with the minimum purchase amount but I don't want to take on the cost of a store front right out of the gate.

Thanks

This is a bit off subject but I would like to start selling homebrew supplies out of my garage. At some point I would like to have a brick and mortor for a LHBS that I can have beer samples and maybe sell a few brews as well. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on how to obtain a wholesale account at a place like LD Carlson or other wholesale suppliers without having a store front. Im ok with the minimum purchase amount but I don't want to take on the cost of a store front right out of the gate.

Thanks

I looked at LD Carlsons requirements on their website here, what you intend to do "selling homebrew supplies out of my garage" is prohibited in their wholesaler requirement crietera.

That being the case, another option is to find a retailer with a brick and mortar location that is willing to partner with you until you get established in your market. Perhaps a local bottle shop you may frequent, a hometown hardware store or local pharmacy.

I looked at LD Carlsons requirements on their website here, what you intend to do "selling homebrew supplies out of my garage" is prohibited in their wholesaler requirement crietera.

That being the case, another option is to find a retailer with a brick and mortar location that is willing to partner with you until you get established in your market. Perhaps a local bottle shop you may frequent, a hometown hardware store or local pharmacy.

Good idea. Find a local place that will lease you some space in their storefront or something.

Back