Opened my first mead yesterday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEREKsims

Reaction score
Just opened my first homemade mead. Aged it only 3 months. Yes I know it's a very young mead. But I was curious. Anyway, i could smell/taste the honey taste but it had an over powering alcohol smell and taste. Almost like a hard liquor. Everything I have been reading basicly just says i need to age it longer. Just wondering if anyone has any advise for a first time mead maker.

I'm not quitting brewing at all. It's my first time so I expected to mess it up. But I'm hoping maybe I didnt and I just need to be patient. Any advice? Tips? Tricks? Motivation? Lol I drank a small shot sized bit from the glass on the right. I know about adding more honey and re racking as well. I will probably end up doing that.
1574472306413.jpg

Aging will diminish the harshness of the ethanol requiring more time the more of it. Can you give the OG and FG or estimated ABV?

Og was 1.110.
Fg was 1.010

12 cups of water, 3 pounds of honey, yeast nutrient and nottingham ale yeast.

I want to add honey to it and age it. Its 1 gallon. How much should I add? Should I do anything else other then that plus aging?

Looks like its already at alcohol tolerance for the yeast, so you should be fine to add honey and age for a bit to allow the haze to clear. Once it’s fully clear again, you can continue bulk aging or bottle from there. As for how much honey, that is kind of to taste. Pull enough of a sample to fill your graduated cylinder, pour it in a glass and add a bit of honey at a time and taste. When you think your at a point you’re satisfied, pour it back into the cylinder and take your gravity reading of that. Then drink the sample.

Latest posts

Back