Open Source Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with open source/more homebrew temperature controllers? Specifically do the more advanced PID Johnson & Love controllers benefit from 'learning' the response time of the freezer?

Also, is there any real benefit to a submerged thermocouple? (I'm aware I'd need an amphibious thermocouple for this.)

Just curious for people's thoughts on this. I bring it up because a homesteader in NM is selling a homebrew temp controller that he's made - YATC. I like it and think I'll be going with it once I nail down a chest freezer off CL.

You would kill the compressor of your freezer if a PID cycled it on and off rapidly. I have mine set to not cycle on for the 12 minute max of the Johnson Controller.

I have one thermocouple submerged in my fermenter, however I find that once the temperatures settle in they don't vary more than a degree from the probe taped and insulated on the outside of the fermenter.

I hadn't though of the effects on the compressor...

The maker of the YATC just e-mailed me and confirmed:
It's not a true PID. Just a closed loop system between the sensor and actuator.

Probably for the best then... He's got plenty of proof he's running his chest freezer off of it with no problems.

Back