Open Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks, what do you think of a short open vessel fermentation? I'm basically doing it out of necessity and curiosity. 36 hours in.

IMG_20151022_041916.jpg

IMG_20151022_013652.jpg

I think that once you have got to the stage you are now you have very little to worry about.
The yeast will be well established and there will be come alcohol present to deter any unwanted airborne 'bugs'.

I'm keen to try an open fermentation soon as I understand it gives an enhanced yeast profile to the finished beer, much like traditional British ales.

However, i'm led to believe that much of this comes from the shape if the fermentation vessel - often recommended to be shallow. Less pressure on the yeast etc. I imagine you'll still get some interesting results in a bucket.

What yeast are you using?

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out!

I ferment in buckets all the time. Loose fitting lid. Have brewed dozens and dozens of beers like this and never had an infection. I've left beer in primary like that for a month with no issues.

I'm keen to try an open fermentation soon as I understand it gives an enhanced yeast profile to the finished beer, much like traditional British ales.

However, i'm led to believe that much of this comes from the shape if the fermentation vessel - often recommended to be shallow. Less pressure on the yeast etc. I imagine you'll still get some interesting results in a bucket.

What yeast are you using?

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out!

I'm using Lalvin EC-1118. Its a hard cider.

Crappy attempt to post from space phone but u get the picture. Open fermentation means better yeast growth via kai. Might have to try myself!

Back