Oops I fell asleep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reese9885

Reaction score
Hey all, had a slight issue... I brewed up a beer sunday night(I work 2nd shift, so my brew times are late at night)...I brewed my batch of beer came out fine and I usualy run more sparge water over the spent grains and get some low gravity wort for yeast starters then freeze them. Then I can use them whenever needed... but I fell asleep after I brewed my batch... and left my grains in my mash tun over night.

The next day I woke up to a foul odor threw out my house, quickly realized the odor was coming from the spent grains.. I didnt know if I should attempt to gather wort from these or not. On the safe side I decided to pitch them and not take a chance on them.. now I been wondering if I could of got some wort from those or not. I have seen some articles about sour mashes but dont know if this was sour or just straight rancid.

If you collected wort then boiled it would have been safe. But given the odor, I would not risk introducing that to my beer even if making a starter and decanting most of the starter wort.

Yeah the odor was a mixture of stomach bile after puking and the worse feet smell you can think of... that was what prevented me

Sounds like it soured. Lactobaccilus is a ***** to deal with. Get rid of it immediately before it sours everything else. clean clean clean your mash tun really well as those types of bugs will infect everything they are in close proximity to.

Yeah I cleaned with a starsan once still smelled really bad... so I Nuked the damn thing with diluted bleach its better now lol

Back