Oops! Did I top crop bad stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Today i top cropped or the first time. After i had collected most of the krausen into a jar i remembered that i wasnt supposed to collect the top layer.

I looked at a guide afterwards and in it the guy said to first remove the top layer of the krausen after like 24 hours(when its starting to build) and then wait a day or more adn then collect the krausen in a jar and fill it up with water...

Will this damage the yeast that Ive collected? What excactly have i collected besides the yeast?

Is there any explanation of why you want to remove the top layer? The only thing I can think of is you would be selecting the least flocculant yeast but even then if you took most of the krausen you should be okay.

Any particular reason to top crop vs steal from a starter?

Today i top cropped or the first time. After i had collected most of the krausen into a jar i remembered that i wasnt supposed to collect the top layer.

I looked at a guide afterwards and in it the guy said to first remove the top layer of the krausen after like 24 hours(when its starting to build) and then wait a day or more adn then collect the krausen in a jar and fill it up with water...

Will this damage the yeast that Ive collected? What excactly have i collected besides the yeast?

if you want to top crop just scoop the krausen into a clean, sanitized jar. don't bother with water. you could just as easily scoop part of the yeast cake into jars too for repitching later.

Back