oops added specialty grains at sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
Hello friends I need some expert help

I'm doing a Bavarian Hefe

3lbs Bavarian dme
2lbs pilsener malt
3lbs wheat malt
3oz pale chocolate
3oz black malt

2oz hallertauer 60
Wlp 380

I did my mash at 158 for 60 min, the problem is I mashed without the pale choc and black malt. So I added those missing six ounces to sit 20 minutes for a batch sparge at 172

I figure since they're specialty they don't have to be mashed just stepped at similar sparge temp.

Will this change the character of the beer and gravity?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

It won't change the gravity. Some homebrewing writers have recently advocated doing exactly what you did (by accident), saying it softens the bitter character of dark roasted malts.

That's what I do for a lot of my brews with dark malts unless I am making a stout that I want a realy roasted coffee flavor. If you do any water chemistry the only thing you need to do is account for the roasted malts not being there when you calculate your mash ph.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate them.

Wow even by accident I'm glad tho find a technique I didn't know about, thankfully it won't change the gravity

As for water . . . I'm still trying to learn how to read a water report lol, but I'll note this in my records for when I get there. Trying to make the most of my partial mash

Thanks again for the knowledge

Back