OOOOHHH! WEEEEEE!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunhaus

Reaction score
So. I made this little side batch of a mixed fruit cider. (Kid juice for my son and his girl on new years type stuff) Today, I went to bottle and I noticed some floaties on the surface. Hmmm. No spider webs. No obvious mold. No pellicle. Looked like little yeast islands. . . . NO worries, seen this before!! SOOO, I pulled a little sample, and this stuff looked BEAUTIFUL! Golden, crystal clear, maybe the best looking cider/fruit wine thingy I have ever made! And the aroma would knock you over; it was an amazing fruit blast - apple, cherry, raspberry . . . So I took a sip.

At first I got a HUGE blast of apple, followed by this really sweet nose of "fruitiness" as i exhaled. And at first I thought, "WOW, what a cider . . . "

THEN, the rest happened. The best way I can describe the next flavor is; I am chewing a really old band-aid; WITH the bloody gum, where I just had a really bad tooth pulled out, and it is still oozing some latent infection and antiseptic blended together... BUT not that good

My reaction to this was initially to turn back and forth really rapidly to find a way to run, while simultaneously trying to find something to scrape it off my tongue. THIS was followed by an overwhelming desire to run my face through the dirt - much like a good ole dog does when they get blasted by a skunk at really close range (There is video google it!) Then I gagged a lot.

I am THINKING. they may not have been yeast islands . . . .

So how is your day going.

Just curious, do you use bleach to clean your fermentation vessel?

Did you use 100% juice and fruit? Did you add water? If so, tap, bottle or RO

Day is going great.

My dear S-Met, I have been making otherwise innocent liquids into intoxicating libations for forty odd years!!!!. In fact since my avatar was alive, well and popular in Michigan when I started! (NO ONE has yet told me who he is though - VERY disappointed in my fellow Mitten dwellers!) But I digress! No need to analyze. I know how to sterilize, sanitize, and the other assorted izes (THANKS, though for very much trying to help! I do love the helpful hands around this site!!!) This is more of a conversational - what made me throw up today thing, than it is a search for my screw ups! In fact, I did a weird little second addition to this brew where in I think I forgot to star san the container - My screw up!!!

This is more about **** HAPPENS than anything. Ya know semi-drunk rambling! (I am, working through a keg of Dortmunder-ALT- Common/steam Pilsner and Munich goodness, that was supposed to be 1.045, but actually came out 1.068 and is sweet funky and smooth and I still have not figured out how to regulate it . . . Or classify it. (I am thinking "Get's ya pissed Amber Stuff") But I digress.

Back