only one style to brew.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
if you had only one style of beer to brew AND drink for the rest of your life, what would it be and why

mine is a Pale Ale - possibilities are endless and goes great with most foods!

American Amber Ale. I could stretch that style to provide some variety, and one of my favorites is West Coast style red beer.

I'd have to go with "Pale Ale" - because it encompasses so broad a category that you can fit a hella lot of different brews in there...

Cheers!

Haha, my first thought was pale ale as well. Can be consumed all day, and all night in proper quantities. That, combined with a healthy dose of a member of the cannabaceae family....hops, of course. (What were you thinking?:D)

Agree - Pale Ale. Drinkable. Versatile. But still plenty of character. I'll be kegging my Dales PA clone, Contrtion, this weekend. Can't wait.

care to share a recipe for a good amber?

I'm not happy enough with the ones I've made. I really like Alesmith Evil Dead Red, except that I want a little more bitterness. I've started from the Jamil clone and made adjustments, but its still missing the mark in a couple areas. I do have to admit some questionable substitutions due to grains and hops on hand. That's one of the advantages of the amber. You can clean out your inventory!

Sputnam--the Can You Brew It? clone recipe for Levitation is good, although I would be inclined to increase the OG to 1.055 or so if I rebrewed. Also, I tried the Akka-Lakka pale ale in TNCJOHB--much positive feedback on that. Used the Wyeast 1098. It's called a pale ale, but not much different from Amber.

Pale Ale for sure - seeing as that apparently stretches from Budweiser to Imperial Pales now, that gives tons of options.

Either English bitter, marzen, or Munich helles.

Bah, who am I kidding. Munich helles is probably the only style I could never get sick of.

Have to go with stouts. Enough options to keep me busy and it helps that I prefer them to begin with.

+1 for Stout = Huge range in gravity, yeast, hop varieties

If I said Pale Ale, I am sure I'd break the rules and get into IPA and Amber Ale styles.

Stout is almost like cheating since there are so many substyles.

IPA for sure. Stout is a close second but I don't drink those in the summer. IPA tastes great regardless of the season.

I'll go a differnt direction and go with Saison.

You can go basic and try to replicate Saison DuPont, or try other variations... add fruit, go hoppy, go big or small, keep it light or add dark malts, add spices, or even brew a Christmas style by going dark and adding spices. So much variety!

surprising (to me anyway) so many stout replies. Perhaps I need to explore the stout beers more (i've never even brewed one)....perhaps someone could help me understand. I just can't picture drinking a stout at the beach, while fishing, eating mexican food or after kayaking. I am certainly NOT trying to be arguementative, I just want to learn. 18 months ago, I didn't "like hoppy beers" :smack: now, i LOVE em. I do like stouts as well, but I feel their versatility is very limited. Also, understand I have had probably less than 10 stouts in my life and only liked a few of those. Bourbon County being the ULTIMATE!

surprising (to me anyway) so many stout replies. Perhaps I need to explore the stout beers more (i've never even brewed one)....perhaps someone could help me understand. I just can't picture drinking a stout at the beach, while fishing, eating mexican food or after kayaking. I am certainly NOT trying to be arguementative, I just want to learn. 18 months ago, I didn't "like hoppy beers" :smack: now, i LOVE em. I do like stouts as well, but I feel their versatility is very limited. Also, understand I have had probably less than 10 stouts in my life and only liked a few of those. Bourbon County being the ULTIMATE!

There is a ton of versatility and variety in stouts. From thin dry stouts, to thick RIS and everything in-between.

You can add fruit, chocolate, oats, mint, and a host of other things to a stout and get a different flavor to them. They have to be one of the most versatile styles of beer out there.

There is a ton of versatility and variety in stouts. From thin dry stouts, to thick RIS and everything in-between.

You can add fruit, chocolate, oats, mint, and a host of other things to a stout and get a different flavor to them. They have to be one of the most versatile styles of beer out there.

i have an "almond Joy" porter getting ready to secondary. I get the versatility of ingredients and what not, but can someone give me a stout recipe that (most anyone) could enjoy in the summer...during the daytime....outside? I REALLY want to like stouts more than I do, help me.

i have an "almond Joy" porter getting ready to secondary. I get the versatility of ingredients and what not, but can someone give me a stout recipe that (most anyone) could enjoy in the summer...during the daytime....outside? I REALLY want to like stouts more than I do, help me.

In the summer I enjoy a good DIS. Sometimes I'll dump in several pounds of raspberries in with some coffee. Is it something that most everyone would enjoy? Probably not, but I dig it.

Any beer I want? For the rest of my life??

I believe that's why I started home brewing so that I could brew 1 style of beer for the rest of my life. Home brew style. Whatever the hell I want, when I want it.

Just saying.

I don't think I've found it yet, although I really love 80 shillings. Lately, though, I've enjoyed drinking pilsners. Haven't brewed one yet, but I could see just sticking to them.

Back