One-Step Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgerbrew

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you are supposed to wait until the one-step sanitizer is dry before beer comes into contact with it? For example, can I pull my wet hydrometer or thief, etc. out of the solution and put it in the beer? Also, when I bottled for the first time, I pulled the bottles straight out of the solution they were soaking in, dumped them out and immediately filled them with beer.

Is this o.k.?

FYI, One-Step is not an official sanitizer. It works, but is actually a cleaner. You should get a product made for sanitizing like Starsan or Iodophor. People have used this product with no ill effects. In the end, its better to use the correct products.

That being said, it is sold as a wet contact no rinse sanitizer. That means its only doing its job if what you want sanitized is wet. As long as you mixed it to the no rinse strength on the packaging, you will be fine.

One step when it is mixed becomes a Hydrogen Peroxide and kills germs that way. Works well Not the best but bang for buck it's good.

I used it in 30 batches but now use Starsan or Iodophor.

That was pretty much how I bottled my first couple of brews, and they seem to have turned out pretty well. As long as you don't have a lot of the one step left in the bottle after dumping it, I can't see it being a problem.

Back