One Day Only Airlock Activity - Too Much Pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brewed a pumpkin ale (extract) on Sep. 7 and didn't see any airlock activity until Sep. 9. On Sep. 9 there was mild airlock bubbling and then it discontinued on the morning of Sep. 10 (approx 10 hours or so).

I modified my extract kit by adding two cans of 30 oz. pumpkin (instead of the recommended one), 1/2 oz. additional hops at 30, 1/2 lb dark brown sugar, and 6 oz. molasses. I pitched (perhaps under) two vials of WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast without aerating properly and a bit cool (63 degrees approx.). The OG for the recipe read 1.056 but mine came in at 1.072 after the additions. The wort (?) was extremely cloudy and almost casserole like when I pitched - this had me concerned after I added so much pumpkin.

So, without any airlock activity whatsoever for the past several days, should I check the gravity at this point? Should I make a starter and pitch that? Should I add gelatin to clear the thick pumpkin? I know I need to relax but of the handful (lol) of beers I've done, none have had this occur. I used good sanitation so I'm not sure what else could be going wrong.

Guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

toestothesun said:
Lol, thanks for the help guys.

Sorry. I dislike pumpkin beers.

Anyway. The only way to check if your beer has fermented is to check the gravity. What I can tell you that even if your yeast was 100% viable, meaning fresh out the lab, then even with two vials you still way under pitched. If your yeast was 50% viable, about 2 months out the lab, then you seriously under pitched. This along with a lack of nutrient and the proper amount of oxygen and I wouldn't be surprised thatf your fermentation was weak. Anyway, check your gravity try to pay attention to your yeast on your next batch. After all, it's the yeast makes the beer and a healthy ferment will make better tasting beer.

OK I don't like punpkin beers so 63 is a little cool let it warm to around 68 check the gravity and if still high pitch another tune of yeast and arearate the hell out of it.

Yeah that's definitely cool for that yeast. It's optimal range is 68-73. You may have slightly underpitched. I happen to like pumpkin beers and I used 60 oz in my last one. Even people who didn't like pumpkin beers enjoyed it.

Back