On the Fly Amarillo Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLR1987

Reaction score
This may turn in to hop tea, but hey, what else is new in the homebrewing world? Opinions on this recipe would be great, especially since i'm mashing RIGHT NOW! haha. Here it is.....

4 gallon batch (BIAB)

og:1.054
ibu: 64
color: 4.5 srm
est abv: 5.5%

7lbs 2 row
4 oz victory
4 oz carapils

mash @152 for 60 min, then mashout @168.

hop bill...

0.5oz centennial 15 min
0.5oz centennial 10 min
0.5oz centennial 8 min
0.5oz centennial 6 min
1oz centennial 4 min
1oz centennial 2 min
1oz centennial 1 min

2oz amarillo whirlpool 5 min @180-190
1oz centennial whirlpool 5 min @180-190
1oz cascade whirlpool 5 min @180-190

I'm thinking of omitting the cascade since it's only 1 oz. Fermenting with a starter of 1056. Commence Feedback!!!!!!

Are you not boiling any hops for 30 of more minutes because you don't want a bitter beer at all? Do you basically just want flavor and aroma?

Are you not boiling any hops for 30 of more minutes because you don't want a bitter beer at all? Do you basically just want flavor and aroma?

I am a firm believer in the theory of "smooth bitterness" derived from late addition hops as per Jamil's article from way back. I am getting 60+ ibus from all of the hop additions, and in the past I've used similar techniques with a nice bitterness but HUGE flavor and aroma. So to answer your question, yes and no haha.

Back