On going problem with my chronical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm several batches into my chronical fermenter. I've done all the things that the instructions said to do before use (clean & passivate). My problem comes from the ball valves that came with the fermenter, and it is leaving a disgusting solvent flavor in my beers. First beer I made I completely had to dump because the oil used in the ball valves leached into the beer during transfer to keg, and made it undrinkable. After I figured out the issue, I thoroughly took the ball valves apart and used rubbing alcohol to clean the grease off the delrin gaskets and balls. Not being able to detect the smell any further, I assumed the next batch would be ok...wrong...same solvent flavor in next batch. This is quite disappointing after spending this kinda cash on a fermenter, and basically using a bucket until I solve this issue.

Anyone else have this problem with their chronical and what did you do to fix it? I don't have the money to buy butterfly valves so that is not an option.

I'm guessing autocorrect doesn't know "conical".

Are you certain the solvent character isn't coming from the beer?

Try drawing a sample out of the top of the conical. If that's got the same character, it's not coming from the ball valve...

Cheers!

Chinese ball valves come packed with some nasty stuff from the factory. Give give them a good long soak in hot oxiclean then scrub them down thoroughly with dish soap.

I had never really disassembled a 3 piece ball valve before I bought my chronical. When I took one apart to initially clean the chronical I immediately jumped on line and bought replacement gate valves. They are so much easier to clean with significantly fewer parts.

My first batch is in the chronical right now. I'm hoping I don't have any off flavored either.

Yeah I'm very positive it's not coming from the beer, I can actually smell the grease when I disassemble the ball valves.

I disassembled everything I could on my chronical (agreed - dumb name, nice conical). I gave all parts a nice long soak in a hot TSP solution to degrease. Afterwards, they got the soak in the strong Star San solution as part of the passivation step.

They were kinda oily from the factory, but they did clean up nicely. The ball valves aren't too bad to deal with - just takes a bit of time.

I disassembled everything I could on my chronical (agreed - dumb name, nice conical). I gave all parts a nice long soak in a hot TSP solution to degrease. Afterwards, they got the soak in the strong Star San solution as part of the passivation step.

They were kinda oily from the factory, but they did clean up nicely. The ball valves aren't too bad to deal with - just takes a bit of time.

Ditto here. Completely disassembled everything and soaked in strong TSP solution (the real TSP - not the ecologically correct crap they sell at the depot). Then passivate with StarSan per instructions. I haven't had any problems. These fermenters have been really great to work with.

I did actually have a gasket-fit problem with the top on the second one I got. I sent an email to SSBrewTech. I got a response within hours and a new Fermenter top and gasket was expressed shipped to me with no further conversation. It solved the problem and now the fit is perfect.

My suggestion is that if you're still having this problem, email those guys, they are fanatical and will not stand for anything half-assed going on with one of their units.

Great thanks guys. I'll try that TSP and I'm sure it will be good to go after that. I do think it is a great fermenter, I just thought for some reason they would have at least said something in the instructions about the grease within the ball valves. Good thing I had my still handy and turned that bad batch into some lemon vodka

Back