Ommegang Hennepin culture pitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
Hi all, I know this has been posted about before:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ommegang-hennepin-yeast-23672/

But I wanted to post something new if anyone was interested in an update. I successfully grew a starter from the dregs of a four-pack of Hennepin. It's off to the races this morning -- really pretty, fluffy white krausen.

9 lbs British Pale Malt
1 lb Bavarian Dark Wheat
1 lb Belgian Clear Candi Sugar (secondary)

.5 oz Simcoe 60 Mins.
1 Styrian Celeia 15 Mins

1/2 star of Star Anise (crushed), 1 tsp of rainbow peppercorns (crushed), 1 tbsp of coriander seeds (crushed) peel of 2 small sunkist oranges (peeled with vegetable peeler to avoid the pith)

1 L Starter from Hennepin

Mash at 149 for 60 mins, batch sparge at 165 (I always keep this low because 170 scares me)

Boil for 60 minutes. Add spice blend at 10, add orange peel at 5. Also added a pinch of crushed red pepper.

This is going to ferment around 73 degrees so I definitely wanted to get some spice in there. Right now it's blowing off all the orange aromatics so I can't tell if there are a lot of esters coming off just yet. I know this yeast has worked for folks in the past but I couldn't find anything on it recently. With my luck they started bottling with Chico in 2013 and I'm making a weak pale ale. But I will keep you posted on what I get out of it if you are interested!

Fermented this one at about 72 and that was way too high for a saison. Ended up with what amounts to a belgian pale ale -- and a pretty good one at that. But disappointing nonetheless. I saved some of the yeast which is now in the fridge but I will tell you that it needs to be done at probably 65 to 67 to get the phenolics you are looking for out of a saison.

That's interesting, I've heard people say to get this yeast up to the mid-80s in order to produce that saison funk. What flavor's are missing from a 72 degree fermentation temp? The spiciness?

That's a great point, problem at 72 is that it didn't really attenuate fully -- 1.010 - 1.012, and that it didn't get that spicy funk that I was aiming for. Now, I still have some of the yeast in the fridge so I may go ahead and try again, perhaps at a higher temp. There is a lot of banana on the nose and its a sweeter beer, so definitely not a saison.

So I just finished a 1.5L starter for my Saison and for the first time I used a coffee filter to keep the fruit flies out. I got quite the surprise when I took the filter off this evening. It appeared to be a solid white creamy yeast cake about an inch thick clinging to the top rim of the flask. Looks like this is a super top cropping candidate.

You put the candy sugar in the secondary? I like the coffee filter. I soak my in star san and then wring it out a bit. It dries quickly enough regardless. Probably overkill.

Will your next brew ferment hotter than 72 or will you ferment lower? I like this experiment.

So I just finished a 1.5L starter for my Saison and for the first time I used a coffee filter to keep the fruit flies out. I got quite the surprise when I took the filter off this evening. It appeared to be a solid white creamy yeast cake about an inch thick clinging to the top rim of the flask. Looks like this is a super top cropping candidate.

I had the same experience: It really takes off, very active yeast strain and it takes some time to drop out completely. Took about a month for me.

One funny thing about this yeast is it seems to produce a little bit of diacetyl, which you will want to adjust for.

I will certainly be fermenting above 72, maybe 75, maybe higher next time. It's a fun yeast strain and the longer the saison has aged in the bottle, the happier I am with the product, I just didn't get much funness out of it -- though it is most certainly a Belgian strain.

I know brewhaha locked in his fermentation temp at 72. I'm wondering if a ramp upwards to the high 70s or maybe 80 and then holding it there to condition will allow that yeast to clean up after itself.

After much research, I've found that Ommegang ramps this yeast upwards of 80+ for Hennepin so I don't think the high temps are going to drive off flavors as long as they don't get to high initially.

That's great work, Troglodytes! I didn't know that Ommegang did that. The diacetyl cleared up with time, though I constantly wonder if I can still taste it. Overall its a really fun yeast strain, really wild, I just don't know how best to wrangle 'er. That's some damn fine detective work.

Keep us posted. I'm going back and forth between WY3711 and my Ommegang yeast in my Saison recipe. The Ommegang seems to impart better flavors for sure, but left my Saison a little sweet for my liking. I held my Ommegang brew to 65 then ramped to 80, so I'm sure it fully attenuated. I'd be interested in the results from a brew locked at 80 the whole time.

Interesting, I'm actually doing the same with the dregs from 4 ommegang wits, and 1 ommegang dubbel. I heard an interview with their head brewer saying that they use the same yeast in all their beers, and add that same yeast at bottling time. I've stepped mine up quite a bit, first with a 1L, 1.020 starter, then a 2L 1.020, then a 2L 1.040, and now one more 2L, 1.040 starter before I pitch it into a blood orange Belgian wit I'm doing Saturday. Very excited to use this yeast. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425577912.233003.jpg

I'm so glad this thread was resurrected! I'd been in a bit of a beer rut. I went out and bought a four pack of Hop House and I'm going to get a Blonde going next week. I'm thinking just Pilsner malt, some noble hops and Ommegang. Really see what this puppy can do :)

So what's the fermentation profile that got closer to the original.

I assume, reading the experiments, is that once it starts fermenting at 66, 3rd day you can start ramping it up to reach 86F in 7-8days.

What is the ratio for spices. I know for sure this beer uses
1. orange peel (the more you age it the more becomes subdued)
2. ginger (fresh/poweder)
3. Very little if any coriander - this must be on the low low.
4. very very little black pepper or maybe the red kind

I love this beer but I think the secret is the yeast and the fermentation regiment. I am surprised to hear that it didn't finish for some of you guys...

Ps.
Is anyone following any thread about Rare VOS amber that Ommegang does ? Share the link don't be selfish :) :mug:

Back