OMG - Ruined Beer? Another Saison Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I pulled a bit of my Saison today for a hydro reading - moved maybe one point lower to 1.009 (fermentation will be two weeks this Sunday). Anyway, I noticed that it had an odd aroma. Sort of like a cross between an overripe apple, citrus and alcohol...and, I'm afraid to say, maybe a barnyard funk or rubber? At the time of the sampling, the temperature was about 84 or 85, though the tolerances of Wyeast Saison yeast is 70-95.

This is my first time fermenting this warm, so I'm not sure if I've overdone it, but I'd bet that the warmest it ever got was 92 or so. The beer tastes just fine, very unique, if a little citrusy, but in all my time homebrewing, I never experienced such an unusual odor. Can anyone vouch to what that might be? I fear it might be autolysis, though I don't think it's fusels because I can't taste any. In fact, I've never had "good" Saison before, so maybe this is one of its trademarks? But if it is autolysis or something, then I'm going to remove the yeast right away. As a precaution, I turned the heating pads off and am allowing it to return to room temperature of about 68-70.

I wish I had an answer to this - but I always ferment in my closet at room temp, which around this time of year is mid 70s. I've never attempted any sort of heat control with a saison.

I suppose I'll take my chances on this, since it's already beyond the point of no return. Can you tell me if those unusual smells either fade or become something more pleasant eventually? I'm also curious if a higher temp, though within the yeasts' tolerance, would cause premature autolysis or fusels?

Finally, maybe it's because I'm using a minibrew fermenter and using such heat extracted unpleasantness from the plastic walls? Gasp...

EDIT: Hop aroma is minimal to zero. Should I dry hop some hallertau, tettnanger or saaz if I have it? I also have some Liberty too.

My smell faded a bit in the bottle, but always had a 'smells worse than it tastes' kinda vibe to it.

I fixed it by adding buttloads of fruit the next time around. I've fremented them in buckets and carboys, so I don't think it's plastic from your minibrew. I don't see how dry hopping would hurt it any - certainly can't get WORSE smelling.

I can't tell you if you're around the correct smell or taste for what you've got there. Your temps are just fine and perhaps your nose just doesn't like the smell of a saison.

All I can really say is that I highly doubt it is autolysis. Saisons are one of my favorite styles to brew and with the temps you've been at and for the time you've had it in a fermenter, you should be fine. i would be far more concerned with placing heating elements on plastic, but I doubt that's a problem either.

Oh you want the horseblanket, farmhouse smell. No doubt about it.
Thanks to you and carnevoodoo for also helping set my mind at ease. I've never made such a truly authentic Belgian style, even with the temps like this. I was expecting something with more fruity esters or spicy phenols, but I would definitely say there's a horseblanket, maybe a slightly burnt rubber thing going on here. Whenever I've heard of farm yard smells or horseblanket, it was usually in the context of lambics or Flanders Reds, etc.

I never doubted whether it was good. I knew it was unique smell-wise and it tasted just fine and I look forward to developing my taste in Saisons. :D Do you guys thing it was a bad idea to throw in an ounce of Hallertauer for dry hopping this 8 gallon batch? I figure it couldn't hurt myself...

Thanks for the feedback, it's a load off to hear that. Should I maintain my heat, then, until I'm ready to remove the yeast?

Definitely maintain your temps. Belgian yeasts are well known to drop out and quit when the temp is lowered.

As for dry hopping, that is not often done in Belgiums. I think I would just let it ride as is.

"Horseblanket"? I've had some belgium Sour's that had some funkiness. but Saisons's should be refreshging with hints's of citrus and a nice yeast profile.

Dry hop it. Who Cares? Unless you are trying to stay true to style. If you fermented too high why not hide it withy more hops?:)

Yeah, it's definitely been an adventure brewing this at such a high temp, but that was the goal. I figured by keeping true with the grain bill, the fermentation hops, etc. I could keep it close to the real deal. I agree, I thought it was unusual to experience farmyard/horse blanket odors, but the taste is about right...The only odd part is that the phenols are a sort of "generic" spiciness, not something you can pick out, like corriander or pepper or something. The other unusual thing, maybe as a result of the using grated orange peel, is that the esters predominantly steered toward the citric side.

How knows? Maybe I'm onto something new here? :cross:

Anyway, the beer smells infinitely better with an ounce of Hallertauer in there. I didn't want to use my Liberty, Saaz or Tettnang for this, since I didn't know how it'd go. Hey, if any other Saison experts want to pass their impressions on all of this, I'd be thankful for it. Hopefully I can get more Saison experience in all of this.

Latest posts

Back