Omega 052 - Conan Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have access to a big pitch of Omega's 052. They call it their DIPA yeast but it is the Conan strain. I've never used this strain and am really only considering it because I have the big propagated pitch. I haven't made a DIPA for a while and maybe would do that, but I also am thinking about just making a standard, middle of the road APA (not even dry hopped). Any thoughts or suggestions about either of these?

I'm also worried about floculation. I'm a vain man and I like my beers to be pretty LOL. Or at least not Hefeweisen/NEIPA hazy. Any experiences or suggestions?

I've used that strain a few times. I like it- it's not as flocculant as an English strain of course, but I didn't create a murky IPA at all. It cleared quite nicely in the keg, and it was mildly fruity but not over the top. I generally fermented it at 68-70 degrees.

I've used that strain a few times. I like it- it's not as flocculant as an English strain of course, but I didn't create a murky IPA at all. It cleared quite nicely in the keg, and it was mildly fruity but not over the top. I generally fermented it at 68-70 degrees.

That's good to know, about the clarity. I know its silly, but hey, at least I'm self-aware. LOL.

I have used the Yeast Bay's version of Conan a lot, everything from IPAs to APAs to bitters, even blonde ales. I really like what it brings. In my opinion, any style that you might consider using an English yeast for in works with Conan. It can give noticeable peachy flavours, which works well in beers heavily hopped with fruity varieties, but this seems to be most pronounced with lower pitch rates and higher fermentation temps. Under "normal" circumstances I just get a general English-type quality from it. It is not super flocculant but it actually seems to clear up pretty well given a bit of time, particularly if the beer is not dry hopped. The bitters I have made were crystal clear. In fact, I just did a split batch of a highly hopped IPA (whirlpool hops, big dry hop) with Conan and WY1217 (really flocculant American yeast) and the Conan batch is clearing much better. Legend has it that Conan is a finicky strain but I haven't experienced this. Typical "best practices" for fermentation - good pitching rates and temperature control - seem to give (me, at least) consistent results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I echo @Yooper 's experience pretty much word for word. I did a session NEIPA with it dropped nicely clear in the keg. I could not identify any yeast-derived flavors, but there where five varieties of hops involved. It has finished pretty fast for me, as well, in a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back