olympic fever...anyone caught it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting so pissed at these curling teams. The absolute worst shooting I've ever seen. The skips especially. They are missing elementary shots.

If the girls weren't so nice to look at I'd have given up long ago.

I realized Olympic hockey is more important than work, so I called out today (sick, of course) and watched all the games: from the Italy-Finland game around 6AM to the close of the US-Kaz game. I hate that there's no radio/webcast of the Olympics. I really wish XM would've picked this up.

The injury to Hasek is ashame. I think sending the pros over is a mixed idea. Owners can use it to "advertise" the sport and gain interest among viewers, but can also risk injuries...let's hope that doesn't happen to Lundqvist or Jagr!

The Czech game was an absolute shock, as was Sweden losing to the ruskies.

Denny's Brew said:
Well, the canucks goalie is bald so I don't belive he has a mullet.

Yikes, I thought you were joking about those hard hats. Those would be really big in Alberta.

I recognize a shot when I read one. As it turns out, I just took my hard-hat off to come in out of the -36C friggin cold! Only a select few have enough balls/stroke to wear brain-buckets like that. I've only ever seen one cowboy-hat style, and the guy who was wearing it was a giant...

Cheyco said:
I recognize a shot when I read one. As it turns out, I just took my hard-hat off to come in out of the -36C friggin cold! Only a select few have enough balls/stroke to wear brain-buckets like that. I've only ever seen one cowboy-hat style, and the guy who was wearing it was a giant...

:rockin: ;) Now if the only made hard hats for :fro: ..​

-36c? Yeah, it's -12c here in Calgary's summer playground. I guess winter is back?

I've discovered one thing about watching Olympic Hockey in Canada.. watch it on TSN. CBC cuts to other events at various times during the hockey games! Found out they are also broadcast on TSN and they let you watch the entire flipping game. Now if I could just figure out the dang schedule.

go figure...they totally beat up on germany, i dont see anyone beating them either. Did anyone watch the snow board cross? its the first time i saw it and thought it was awsome, it like nascar meets snowboarding.

the curling just wasnt doing it for me this year, i dont know why, i just cant get into it. and whats up with the curlers being 16 and 17 years old? if any sport would benefit experience over youth/athletic ability i thought it would be curling. (ive never seen a teen-age bocci baller)

When I was a kid, I remember the Olympics being on constantly during the course of 2 weeks. Am I wrong? Now, it is only on network tv for 3.5 hours, then again after midnight. It wasn't like this in the 70s and early 80s was it? I do understand why it's this way though...Oprah draws more viewers than the Biathlon.

thurs was a good hockey day. ready for the weekend games!!!

i was dissapointed in the snowboard cross. just didn't do it for me......

I guess no Canada/USA matchup for Womens hockey.. first time ever in the Olympics. Probably good for the sport though. I think the rest of the world was getting frustrated. :D

I've always wanted to do the skulls. The face foward on your stomach down a bobsled track sport. I used to do that on a skateboard downhill through traffic...Of course, never ben able to try the ice version since there are no boblsed tracks in BC. Although I suppose there will be soon...
The only sport where being insane makes you an Olympic athelete!! I should REALLY fit in...

BTW did you see my fellow Canadian aerials jumper in practice do an amazing jump and loos his ski's?? VERY entertaining..

Jagr....NOOOOOO!!!!!! Say it ain't so. These olympics are proving costly, particularly for the Czechs (Jagr, Elias, Hasek).

I didn't get to see the entire game, but it looked like Slovakia had a better game plan than the US today.

gaelone said:
Jagr....NOOOOOO!!!!!! Say it ain't so. These olympics are proving costly, particularly for the Czechs (Jagr, Elias, Hasek).

I didn't get to see the entire game, but it looked like Slovakia had a better game plan than the US today.

what happened to jagr? i watched USA/Slovakia but they never said a word about Jagr?????? even though US lost, damn good game. how 'bout the Swed's hu?!?!?!?!?!?!!:rockin:

DiPietro is look'n good too.....

Yikes. Canada got beet by the Swiss??! What the...?

Last night I stayed up till 3am to watch that Canadian Womens curling team lose to...Japan!
Mens Curling to Italy...
Not to mention for you 'mericans the upsets the last few days.

What's next, Sauia Arabia winning Aerials?
jok.gif

Curl girls! Curl girls!

Jagr took a hit along the boards at an awkward that led to a nasty head wound and some blood. He left the game and did not return. His status for the rest of the Games is supposedly up in the air. I'm more concerned with this return on March 2 in the land of the pumpkin patch at the end of the NJ turnpike.

bummer. suprised i didn't see the high-lite of that one......

i know. Billy Guerin took one for the team against Latvia to block a shot on goal. i'm sure the Stars GM cringed when he saw that!

gaelone said:
When I was a kid, I remember the Olympics being on constantly during the course of 2 weeks. Am I wrong?
You're not wrong...it was the same way when I was a kid. But back then there were only three channels (four if you counted PBS), one movie theatre (with one screen), and the Olympics was really the only time you saw most of that stuff every four years. With little or no competition and 4 years of buildup, it was easy for a network to devote 24 hours of coverage...now days that would equate to 24 hours of last place ratings, unless they got lucky and somebody died or got naked.

the hockey games are to me the best things to watch, everygame is like a playoff, and the nhl players are spread out pretty well, so that no one is dominating. the U.S.got beat again, i love the announcers that said, "they need to score more to win" wow! what an insight! Canada was not looking as sharp as they were earlier, and anyone has a shot at winnig it all.
i used to be a huge hockey fan back in the day, but years of watching NY ranger 'dump and chase' style (boring) hockey got me out of it. Now i cant wait for the nhl to start up again. its even better now with the no-tie rule, more shootouts! ive been to probably 50 games (devils,rangers) and never seen a shootout, now they happen almost everynight!

cgravier, comeback to the Garden...it's actually fun to be there again!

I originally though the Czechs would do it. I thought the Canadian team was not quite as solid coming into the Games. Sweden I expected to have a strong shot too. I can't say I agree that the NHLers are spread out. There are no non-NHLers on the US or Canada. Teams Russia and Sweden have loads of NHLers and the Slovaks and Finns have some; others have none (nor a chance). I wouldn't exactly call it distributed. I can't wait til owners are sick of Hasek, Elias, and nearly Jagr getting hurt only to promote the game...I am increasingly becoming less a fan of the NHL partaking.

Oh God, I hate the shootout. Shootout's are the bane of hockey. Might as well flip a coin at the end of a hard fought game.

If they ever make shootouts a part of the NHL playoffs, I will stop watching hockey.

I'd rather watch this guy dance than a shootout!
Belly.gif
And that' saying a lot...
Eye-Spin.gif

"olympic fever...anyone caught it? "

Not here. I haven't seen one minute of it. Too busy doing other things, I guess...

gaelone said:
cgravier, comeback to the Garden...it's actually fun to be there again!

too. I can't say I agree that the NHLers are spread out. .

Im more of a devils fan anyway (i remember the voting of thier name after they moved from colorodo) When i said the nhl players are spread out i meant among the top teams like canada, usa, chzeck, fins, sweden(?), russia etc...it has been some awesome competition though...i think Jagr will prove tonite why they have a peanut butter named after him, and how good was Belfour?

i wish usa womens played canada though in the gold match...i think it was kind of lopsided, i didnt see the game that got usa out of the finals but i think it would of been a better match up.

Maybe its because im from the us but id rather see a game not end in a tie...i know winning isnt everything, but come on, someone has to win...i think goalies are the only ones that hate shootouts...

Jagr has a PB named after him? Is this in the Czech republic? Or are you calling him Skippy, or Peter Pan?

Women's hockey was scripted as USA vs CAN. I read in the paper that neither team had lost a game to anyone but each other. Amazing.

I'm pulling for Sweden now. I know the 25% of the Rangers are on the CZE team, but I'm a big fan of Lundqvist, the SWE goalie.

I'm torn with the shootout. It's terribly exciting and you really look forward to it, but those teams with weaker goalies are at a disadvantage. The "team" gets taken out of team sport.

jagr butter...its like 'flutie flakes' i guess...he is awesome!
i thought the women played well, i dont understand why they dont check more? at least throw some hip checks (pun intended). im not sure if they are allowed to check or what? all i know is they let players park themselves right in front of the goalie just waiting to score, and besides stick checking they do nothing about it. to me this is insanity, when i played hockey, the first rule i learned is if you really want to make your goalie hate you, let the opponents sit right in front of him waitng for a feed and a resulting 'softie'. its not like basketball where you have shaq (an imovable object) housing everyone else around him away from the rebound. These girls consistantly play the puck, instead of just forcing the player away from the goal. ive seen more than one goal scored this way, goals that should have never happened if they played the body rather than going around the player after the puck...the good thing is that the one fight ive seen was on the womens side...at least there not scared to throw down...

Yeah, I've been caught up in it! I've been watching the hockey like crazy, in fact I just watched the US lose their medal chance:mad:

I enjoyed watching the curl girls, as those sisters are fine, but I'm more partial to redheads and really dug jessica shultz, but that screaming for haaarrrrrdddd was the right pitch to cut right through me!!!

I know what you mean. Nothing more frustrating than watching someone set up in front of the net untouched...

So the US has been bounced by the Finns, big surprise there, eh? NOT! I didn't even expect them to qualify (it was a really weak way to make it--being better than Latvia?)...Go Sweden!

gaelone said:
I know what you mean. Nothing more frustrating than watching someone set up in front of the net untouched...

So the US has been bounced by the Finns, big surprise there, eh? NOT! I didn't even expect them to qualify (it was a really weak way to make it--being better than Latvia?)...Go Sweden!

It was ridiculous that Team USA even made it to qualifying with that pathetic record. I'm glad to see them out. No heart = losers.

Just like Bode. F him.

It was a joke for them to be in the qualifying round at all. 8 out of 12 teams making it is really silly. The ratio of qualifiers is higher than the NHL's. This allows only two teams other than Big 6...

thats who i like anyway...too bad for canada and the us, i cant wait till next olympics which are in Canada. thats gonna be awesome!

Yeah, vancover will rock, but as of right now the NHL hasn't committed to go yet... I'm kinda torn on this, as I would like to see it return to amateur play, and they could bring back the World Cup of Hockey / Canada's Cup

BTW Cassie Campbell is frickin' awesome!!!

gaelone said:
Nudity in the Olympics! El P has got it...

I'd probably start watching the female Ice Dance/skating. Leg lift anyone? Weren't they basically naked in the ancient greek olympics?

yeah the olympics used to be all nude...they used to be all male too...thats not a trade off im willing to except, ill stick with the 'next to nothing' unitards the girls are wearing now.

desertBrew said:
I'd probably start watching the female Ice Dance/skating. Leg lift anyone? Weren't they basically naked in the ancient greek olympics?
I know the only reason I even stay in the room when SWMBO watches any sort of ice skating is to hope against hope for a wardrobe malfunction (at least for some of the participants...and of course, only those over 18...). But as I've been sick for a good portion of the last week I've watched hours and hours of Olympics. I always do, always will.

BeeGee said:
I know the only reason I even stay in the room when SWMBO watches any sort of ice skating is to hope against hope for a wardrobe malfunction (at least for some of the participants...and of course, only those over 18...). But as I've been sick for a good portion of the last week I've watched hours and hours of Olympics. I always do, always will.

I was watching the ice dancing couple thingie :eek: with SWMBO I think Sunday? It was when they were all wiping out; dropping the babes on the ice. Good fun and plenty roars of laughter coming out of my face. :D.

cgravier - I KNEW someone would bring that up (all male). In my little world it was the ancient naked cat fight olympics.

Latest posts

Back