Cream Ale Old School American Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Brewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP080
Yeast Starter
1 quart starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
68deg for 18 days
Tasting Notes
Clean and smooth with a subtle sweetness from the corn.
I wanted to give this traditional American style a try, and it came out really well. Simple and smooth, the White Labs yeast did a great job. This was definitely popular with BMC drinkers, but interesting enough for me and my craft brew friends. Going to make a bigger batch in the spring to keep around for the summer.

Mash at 150 degrees (6 quarts water)

2 lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6-row
1 lb flaked corn
4 oz Belgian Aromatic

1 ounce hallertau (30 min)
1/2 ounce saaz (5 min)
1/2 ounce saaz (flameout)

1 tsp irish moss

Can you tell me why you have 4 oz of Belgian Aromatic malt in this recipe? I am not being critical of it being there but I am curious of how this impacts the taste of the cream ale. I have not seen it used before in making a cream ale.

Can you tell me why you have 4 oz of Belgian Aromatic malt in this recipe? I am not being critical of it being there but I am curious of how this impacts the taste of the cream ale. I have not seen it used before in making a cream ale.

Good question. This is the lightest (flavor-wise, not necessarily by color) beer I've ever brewed, and I was a little concerned that I was going to be brewing bud light. I decided to kick up the hops and malt just a little bit. With the hops, you'll notice my IBUs are a little above the style guidelines. Likewise, with the malt, I wanted to add some malty flavor and aroma without adding a lot of gravity. So, I felt that a little belgian aromatic would do the trick.

Honestly, this may have been a brewer's placebo; I'm not sure 4 oz would really have a significant impact, but I just felt better about brewing it that way. The results were good. But your question made me think about the impact, and perhaps I should conduct an experiment and brew this with and without the aromatic and see what the difference is.

Hope that helps.

I am thinking of doing a 2.5 gallon bath with the aromatic malt and another 2.5 gallon batch w/o it for comparison. I would like to hear of your results if you change anything.

First time I brewed this, I used a 60 minute mash, it worked fine. However, I've recently been using 90 minute mashes to increase efficiency. I can't crush my own grain so the longer mash helps me out.

I just made it in a five gallon batch and added fresh jasmine in he primary and secondary. Light but great. Mild creamy finish. Might add lactose next time. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402098526.897227.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice! Hadn't thought of adding anything like Jasmine, but seems like a good fit.

Haven't been on HBT recently, so it's taken a while to see this.

cheers! :mug:

Back