Old Rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I have a buddy who gave me some rhizomes. However, they felt kinda pithy. He said he had planned to pitch them in the garbage because he had some extras this year. I guess they’ve been in sealed plastic bags on his counter for a month.

Will they grow? Should I try? What do you think? Some are a little moldy...

7C1FB2D5-78B0-4CFC-A938-6BE50C00AF08.jpeg

Can't hurt to plant them. I would plant them in a big planter and see if they make it. Soak them in water for a couple of hours first.

Is the earth a big enough planter?

Not trying to be a jackass - just curious if putting them in the ground is ill advised?

Is the earth a big enough planter?

Not trying to be a jackass - just curious if putting them in the ground is ill advised?
I suggested a planter because you can move it to where it's convenient and you have more control of the growing environment but planting them in the ground would work. You got nothing to lose by planting them

I guess we’ll get them in the ground and see what happens. I don’t have any big containers and I’d prefer not to spend the money on it in case they aren’t viable.

I guess we’ll get them in the ground and see what happens. I don’t have any big containers and I’d prefer not to spend the money on it in case they aren’t viable.
You can start them in a five-gallon bucket. Heck, a couple of reusable grocery bags will work.

Back