Old Hops... reusable???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo-Brewer

Reaction score
I have a bunch of old hops from previous batches some are up to 5 months old. Are these still ok to use? Or will they produce an unwanted flavor/bitterness/aroma or not enough flavor/bitterness/aroma?
Any help would be great.

Where did you store them? If you stored them in the freezer, then I say you will be just fine. Hops do lose some of their properties over a period of time... But I'd deffenetly use them.

Hops are harvested once a year so all the hops you would buy at a HBS would be 5 months old.

Not thinking, I have been storing them in a box with my other brewing supplies in my basement apartment. You dont think that it will give a bad taste to my beer?

Not thinking, I have been storing them in a box with my other brewing supplies in my basement apartment. You dont think that it will give a bad taste to my beer?

Well, that's not ideal storage conditions. I use my food saver and seal my opened hops and put them in the freezer. They last a long time that way- at least a year or more.

If they've just been stored opened in a box, they may or may not be good. Smell them. If they smell good, then they should be fine to use. If they smell "cheesy" or stale, or not good, then they shouldn't be used.

Hops are pretty expensive now, so I always save any leftovers and use them in the future.

+1--- I use the heavy duty freezer bags and save EVERYTHING (hops/malts) in them in my freezer. I buy by the pound and freezing is the ideal way for long or short term storage for your hops.

If they haven't turned brown or developed a cheesy aroma, they are OK. The bittering ability will have dropped. How much depends on the variety.

When I've been doing a lot of kits and have 5-8 little bags of leftovers (which I freeze), I'll make a session ale.

Back