Old DME for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if it's old or not but I would assume. My local grocery store has a wine and beer making section. Mostly just coopers canned kits but they do have some DME for 1/4 of the price of the LHBS. I'm assuming and guessing it's old. Is there any harm in using old stale DME for a starter for an all grain brew?

I had some old DME (10 months+) that I used for multiple starters for the last 2 BIAB batches and I was pleased with the results. I wouldn't make a beer from a DME that old but a starter is fine.

Nah, you're fine. I've used some very old dme before with no I'll effects. Plus if you are decanting most of the liquid off anyway it would be a very small amount getting into a full batch.

I have DME set aside for starters that's many months old, but stored in an air-tight container. As long as you're draining off the excess wort from the starter before adding it to your batch, you shouldn't have any issues.

You're not drinking the starter, so it doesn't matter if the DME is old or stale.

Perfect. It's all in vacuumed packed bags so shouldn't be to bad. Just not sure how long it's sat on the shelf for.

Latest posts

Back