Old ale (w. brett) - idea for retaining sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBoyScout

Reaction score
I've brewed a batch of old ale which is around a year of age now with Brett L and it's tasting great, not overly dry but of course brettanomyces won't leave a lot of sugar in a beer. Its OG was 1.099 and it finished at 1.010. It was 88.5% Maris Otter and the remainder was C40, C120, and pale chocolate.

I'm planning to brew a paler old ale in the next bit, and originally I was thinking 100% maris otter with a long boil but I'm considering adding a fairly high dose of light crystal malt (C15) to retain some more body and sweetness in the finished product. I would rather it finish a little on the sweet side than a little on the dry side if possible.

Seem like a decent plan? Any suggests as to % to use? I was thinking 12.5% or maybe even 15%. The OG on this one will be a little lower, at 1.075.

I like old ales dry. You could change some other things around to give it more of a sense of body / malt: add a bit of oats for body, or use a less funky brett than L (I use the traditional brett C). Another thing, which could work, is to add something that gives flavours associated with sweetness even if the FG is dry. I've used darker invert sugar syrups, for example, where you get quite a bit of caramel flavour and it can fool you to think the beer is sweeter than it is.

Back