old ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicineMan

Reaction score
I am planning on making an old ale, here is the recipe I plan on using. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

16lbs Marris Otter British Pale
1lb Golden Naked Oats
12oz Crystal 75
6oz Special B
2oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Black Patent
8oz Dark Candi Syrup (@15min)

2oz Norther Brewer @60
1.5oz Kent Golding @40
.5oz Kent Golding @2

Yeast-White Labs English Ale

I planned on aging in the secondary for 6 month on 1oz of American oak cubes that have been soaking in Makers Mark for the last 6 months.

Wow, that looks pretty nice I think. I'm currently working up an old ale recipe to brew in February as my Christmas '12 beer. I hadn't considered oak aging it, it's just not my thing - but I like the rest of it. Personally I tend to favor the London Ale yeast, but again, just taste preference.

As far as the recipe is concerned, it looks more or less like it should according to my eyes - MO with close to 7% crystal.

I'm going to follow this thread as a guide, please post how it turns out.

Cheers

I brewed this yesterday: I mashed at 152 for an hour, and did a batch sparge.
I changed the recipe a little bit. Instead of .5oz. of Kent golding @ 2min, I changed the time to 0 minutes. I also had to switch the golden naked oats for flaked oats because my LHBS discontinued the naked oats. The OG was 1.092. I made a yeast starter with a stir plate and pitched the yeast @ 70F, fermentation started after approx 4 hours. Fermentation was very active, and it blew the cap off the airlock and sprayed the ceiling and wall. Needless to say, I had to switch to a blow off tube. I plan on leaving the beer in the primary for 14 days. I'll post a gravity reading in a few weeks when I transfer to the secondary.

Latest posts

Back