Old Ale AG Recipe - feedback requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCJack

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on brewing an Old Ale this weekend and will be shopping for my ingredients today.

I would really appreciate any feedback the group can supply.

I am trying to stick to the standard but am looking to create a BIG beer. Also trying to stay away from too much heavy roastiness.

Here is what I have so far...

Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.48 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Est Original Gravity: 1.090
Est Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated ABV: 9.3 %
Bitterness: 41.6 IBUs
Est Color: 19.6 SRM

Thank you in advance to any assistance or recommendations you may have!

if I were you I would either up your latter hop additions or change to something a little more pungent considereing you going for something big this should help to ballance the fairly hefty malt bill with some serious hop flavor and aroma. but then again i am a huge hop head and don't see how the willamette and EK goldings play an appropriate role. but thats all up to the brewer.
good luck!

if I were you I would either up your latter hop additions or change to something a little more pungent considereing you going for something big this should help to ballance the fairly hefty malt bill with some serious hop flavor and aroma. but then again i am a huge hop head and don't see how the willamette and EK goldings play an appropriate role. but thats all up to the brewer.
good luck!

If you're sticking to style then you want little to no hop flavor and aroma in an old ale. Check out the BJCP guidelines: BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 19

Not a bad looking recipe. I participated in the 11-11-11 recipe. It was simple and the beers turned out great. I take it you're just going with a clean sacch yeast and not a brett for more old world version. The only thing I could advise based on is the recipe I've brewed. We had zero caramel malt, instead did a long boil down to 2 gal for caramel complexity. Also since we aged for around 8 months before bottling due to the brett blend we had only bittering hops.

Back