Oktoberfest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewB2Brewing

Reaction score
How long should I wait to drink an oktoberfest? My plan is to keg, which would help, but i wasnt sure if it needs to age for a few months or can i brew it and drink in a similar time frame as like an IPA?

I usually ferment it at 50F for about three weeks and then let it rise to 60-65F for a few days to finish and then take the temp down to 45, add gelatin to fine it then continue to crash it down to 33 degrees for a couple more days. Then I'll keg it and let it carb up for a week (still at 33 degrees) and then start sampling it after that. You can decide if you'd like to let it continue to lager in the keg for a few more weeks or you can raise the temp up to 45 degrees for serving temps after that if you like.

Alternatively you can use Brulosophy's Lager method which I've had great success with as well.

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

I would definitely take Yooper's advice over mine though, she's forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know. :)

Back