oktoberfest mega fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjm76

Reaction score
OK, I'll start this thread by to dissuade any advice on the purity of my lagering technique. I brewed an oktoberfest last saturday and as planned pitched it onto the cake of my recently (friday) transferred doppelbock. A technique I have had success with (as well as piece of mind) has been allowing my lager to begin active fermentation at cellar temperature (right around 60) before cooling it to the high 40's for the remainder of primary fermentation. Anyway, I did this with the yeast cake (BTW this is the first time I have pitched to a yeast cake) and to my surprise when I went to check on it Sunday AM there was beer everywhere and the top of the airlock was missing. Anyway, I then replaced the airlock, moved it to my lagering fridge and it hasn't bubbled since. Is it possible for a lager to ferment completely in less than 24 hours and how will this affect my end product?

Let me be the first (I'm sure not the last) to ask... Did you take an SG reading? You might want to do that... other than that, I'm sure the big drop in temp slowed down the yeasties a bit.

well..........don't own a hydrometer. never saw the need.....wait (maybe this is a situation where I could have used one):eek:

Latest posts

Back