Oktoberfest/Marzen/Festbier - SURVEY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopRodGR

Reaction score
Hello HBTers,

I'm currently working on an article for a popular homebrewing publication that I'm sure many of you subscribe to, that if all goes as planned would come out next spring. It's designed to be a comprehensive look at Oktoberfest style beers, including the proposed new BJCP category for Festbier (i.e. the golden colored beer served at Oktoberfest in Munich).

I've designed a short survey to get some thoughts from homebrewers on what they think about the style, and how they brew it. So, if you brew these beers yourself or just enjoy drinking them, I'd appreciate a few minutes of your time. Prost!

Survey: Oktoberfest Beer Survey

Done. I hadn't heard about the proposed Festbier category, but I think it's a great idea.

Looking forward to the article.

I love Oktoberfest bier and brew them often. I find the American samples a little too sweet or even fruity due to the heavy use of crystal malts. I prefer a simple malt bill of Pilsner and Munich malts.

Thanks to everyone who has taken it so far. 40+ responses in only 24 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Done. I too look forward to the article. I think the proposed category is a good idea.

I think most American examples have waaaaay too much caramel in them. Maybe it's just the difference between Domestic and Continental crystal malts?

I really enjoy Marzens that are along the line of Jamil's recipe - a mix of Pils/Vienna/Munich, plus a about 5-8% Caramunich.

One thing I'm not quite sure about is how Festbiers are different from Dortmunder/Exportbier - they seem very similar. Looking at the 2014 guidelines it looks like the Festbier is a generally a few points higher on OG and IBUs, with more of a balance toward the malt, and Exportbier is a more hop-forward and mineral-y.

Sure looks like you could make a 1.056 OG pale lager, 24 IBU, 1.012 FG, medium-low hop aroma, and enter it in both categories... for that matter, you could probably also enter it as one or more of the Czech categories as well...

One thing I'm not quite sure about is how Festbiers are different from Dortmunder/Exportbier - they seem very similar. Looking at the 2014 guidelines it looks like the Festbier is a generally a few points higher on OG and IBUs, with more of a balance toward the malt, and Exportbier is a more hop-forward and mineral-y.

Sure looks like you could make a 1.056 OG pale lager, 24 IBU, 1.012 FG, medium-low hop aroma, and enter it in both categories... for that matter, you could probably also enter it as one or more of the Czech categories as well...

I wouldn't dispute some of what you say, at that point, subtle nuances would probably differentiate them, but I agree, what you propose is closely related.

I will say this, one of the things I'm learning about Festbier is to make a great example, you need to be able to push lager yeast to its very highest limits of attenuation. The Festbiers served in Munich at the Oktoberfest by law much have an OG of 13.5-14.0 Plato, with most falling at 13.7P. If you do the math on the ABV, of which most of them are around 6.0 - 6.3%, attenuation needs to be at least 80%, with some examples hitting as high as 84%.

Back