Oktoberfest Fermentation Finished High...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bburns

Reaction score
This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while and this site great with so much information. This is my seventh batch and first lager. Anyway, I've got a Oktoberfest fermentation issue I need help with...

First off, I don't have lagering capabilities. That being said, the wife still wanted an Oktoberfest. I thought I bought the AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen Partial Mash kit, however when it arrived I found out I ordered the Imperial version kit. So I tried anyway...

Yeast: White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager 820 (no starter, doubled pitched)
OG measured at 1.085 on 7/28/12
Been fermenting at 72F since in the primary
Measured SG today at 1.022 and it's stopped fermenting
Beer tasted sweet and astringent and very cloudy

What should I do? Transfer to secondary, re-pitch with something else, let it sit?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bburns said:
This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while and this site great with so much information. This is my seventh batch and first lager. Anyway, I've got a Oktoberfest fermentation issue I need help with...

First off, I don't have lagering capabilities. That being said, the wife still wanted an Oktoberfest. I thought I bought the AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen Partial Mash kit, however when it arrived I found out I ordered the Imperial version kit. So I tried anyway...

Yeast: White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager 820
OG measured at 1.085 on 7/28/12
Been fermenting at 72F since in the primary
Measured SG today at 1.022 and it's stopped fermenting
Beer tasted sweet and astringent and very cloudy

What should I do? Transfer to secondary, re-pitch with something else, let it sit?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The beer tasted sweet and astringent because it was a lager yeast fermented at the high end of ale temperatures and it's green and un carbonated and not finished fermenting out.

Lathering is a totally different method of fermentation and lager yeast is fermented cold for a longer period of time than ales.

I would not put much hope in this beer at all. Perhaps someone with more lager experience then me could suggest a fix. All I can add is give it a swirl and some time ,see if it drops and bottle it but be prepared for something not even close to what you expected.

1) It's sweet because you underpitched by a lot.
2) It's astringent (more likely acetaldehyde) because you pitched lager yeast at ale temps, underpitched, stressed the yeast and haven't lagered it yet.
3) It's cloudy because it needs to be lagered.

That being said, the best way to please your wife would be to make this instead: OktoberFAST Ale

So is there anything I can do to save this beer? Pitch more yeast? Or should just transfer to secondary let it clear then bottle?

Once FG gets to 1.014-1.016 or so, you could transfer to secondary and cold crash it for 2-3 weeks in hopes that it will clear and taste better, but I wouldn't think so. When you ferment a lager yeast 20*F higher than it should be, you will get some off flavors and esters from the yeast.

Lathering is a totally different method of fermentation and lager yeast is fermented cold for a longer period of time than ales.

I tried lathering and it gave a good shave, but it didn't do my beer any good.

Couldn't resist, damn spell checkers.

I would guess the beer is not going to be very good but you never know. Add another batch of ale yeast and see what happens, then lager it at 34-38 for a month. You can use a garbage can and ice to keep it cold, but that's a lot of watching to do. 2 garbage cans one inside the other work better. put some kind of insulation between them and now you have something that will keep the ice for longer. You'll still need to keep checking, and you'll also need to siphon off the excess cooling water from time to time.

So is there anything I can do to save this beer? Pitch more yeast? Or should just transfer to secondary let it clear then bottle?

You could pitch an active starter of ale yeast or rehydrate two packets of US-05 and see what happens. Works for some people, but don't expect it to solve all your problems, the 'green beer' may still be there after you're all said and done.

Hope that helps!

That's 74% AA. It's probably finished fermenting. It's only 2 weeks old so don't worry about the flavor. It's time to lager for 6-8 weeks.

Well I just decided to break down and buy a chest freezer and Johnson Controls thermostat for a fermentation chamber. I'll try to recover this one by lagering at 40F for several weeks and see what happens. At least now I can have better control over fermentation temps.

Lager as close to 32* as you can get.

I set my LOVE to 33* and it does pretty well.

One other point-- the WLP820 is a very slow yeast, according to the information I gleaned from the White Labs web site. A lot of people report a very slow fermentation.

I used this on my first lager back in late June-- did a triple decoction mash, and used a 2 liter starter to pitch. It took over three weeks to ferment out at 52°F (to the point where I did the diacetyl rest, even though I didn't taste any). It's been lagering at 33°F for the past six weeks or so... another couple weeks until I keg it and carbonate it.

FYI, that's one HELLLLLL of a high-gravity Oktoberfest. WOW. When's the party, I'll make sure to book a hotel room, as there's no way in hell I'd be able to drive home.

I got my first shot at Oktoberfest in der Fridge, fermenting away. I've got my own temp controller, and I'm watching for the fermentation to slow down for the diacetyl rest, then on to 33 degrees or thereabouts for six weeks.

Well I just decided to break down and buy a chest freezer and Johnson Controls thermostat for a fermentation chamber. I'll try to recover this one by lagering at 40F for several weeks and see what happens. At least now I can have better control over fermentation temps.

Good move. You learn fast. I don't understand how people remain in the hobby without this setup. One time cost and you will have complete control of every fermentation for the rest of your life.

I'd give it another week before lagering. High original gravity beers like this sometimes peter out towards the end. If you really want to try to get the FG down a bit more, start your next batch and after its at high krausen for a couple of days, pull out 2L or so and dump it into your stuck fermentation. This got me another 4 points or so in an Imperial Stout that suffered the same fate.

If you plan on doing high alcohol ales and any kind of lager, it is essential to oxygenate, Williams Brewing has a suitable setup. Might as well do it right.

:mug:

Just a quick follow-up. I let the beer lager for four weeks at 33 degF. Final gravity measured at 1.02. I also decided to purchase a kegging setup as well. Much easier than bottling! :)
Beer actually turned out fairly good considering. It's a little sweet, very smooth, and strong. Definitely not a session beer, but salvageable. Thanks for all the feedback.

Latest posts

Back