Ok to pitch onto a yeast cake from a stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StatsMcG

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a Scottish 60 /- that's fermenting, and I'd intended to use the yeast cake for my next batch, a Wee Heavy. Problem is the fermentation seems to be stuck.

The details:
3.4G A/G batch, measured OG 1.036
I used JZ's recipe in Designing Classic Styles, scaled down to my batch size.

Yeast is Wyeast 1728. I smacked it about 4 hours before pitching, and it swelled right up. No starter was used because of the small volume and OG. Mash temp was 158 per JZs recommendation.

Pitching temp was about 66. After 12 hours, I lowered the temp to about 62 and left it there for 10 days, at which time I took a hydrometer reading and found it to be 1.020. I swirled the bucket, raised the temp to 64, and waited another 2 days - still 1.020. I then took a sanitized spoon and gently roused the yeast, and raised the temp to 65.

I will take another reading in a day or so, but I'm not terribly hopeful that the fermentation will have resumed. The hydrometer samples, though, both tasted very good - not terribly sweet, and there was a slight earthy taste to it. I plan on bottling regardless in a few days.

My question is this - can I use this yeast cake for a wee heavy I'd planned to do the same day as bottling this batch? If so, what steps should I take to ensure a successful fermentation? (i.e. raise the yeast cake temp to 68 or so and then drop it down to 62 slowly? or drop the yeast cake temp down to 62 and pitch at that temp?) I do have two packets of US-05 on standby if there is no activity in the Wee Heavy after 12 hours, since from everything I've read, the Wee Heavy should take right off.

Thanks in advance - this is my first actual "problem" fermentation...it figures that it'd also be the one that my next fermentation depends on. Thinking back now, I guess I caused the stuck fermentation by lowering the temp from 66 at pitch to 62, but the yeast package had said pitch between 65-75.

Anyway, ANY advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
StatsMcG

Thanks, Nateo. I will try doing this.

So if I perform the fast ferment and find the FG of the fast ferment sample to be 1.010 (for example), that is an indication that there was not a problem with the mash, correct? In other words, there were not so many unfermentables in the wort that the mash couldn't get below 1.020.

If this is the case, that means there is some problem with the yeast fermenting the beer down any lower. I'm assuming the yeast isn't dead, since at no point were they at too high a temperature, and the smack pack had swelled up. If they aren't dead, then they're...asleep? If so, would pitching a fresh wort (the Wee Heavy) onto them after bottling the 60 /- be safe?

Thanks for the help!

So if I perform the fast ferment and find the FG of the fast ferment sample to be 1.010 (for example), that is an indication that there was not a problem with the mash, correct? In other words, there were not so many unfermentables in the wort that the mash couldn't get below 1.020.

That's the basic idea. Using bread yeast I've noticed slightly higher FGs than with brewer's yeast for the fast ferment test, but it's also unlikely that the brewer's yeast will actually attenuate all the way to the limit in the main fermentation, so the limit of attenuation given by the bread yeast is a reasonable target for the brew's FG.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable pitching a large beer onto the yeast cake if it's having trouble fermenting a small beer correctly. But, with a mash temp of 158*, it's possible the wort is just not very fermentable. I like 1729 for Scottish ales because it isn't a great attenuator, so it might be partly the yeast and partly the mash.

Thanks for the quick advice, Nateo. I picked up some bread yeast and will get this started tonight.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Latest posts

Back