ok this is for fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
But only because i'm asking you guys....;) (this is what i eat so my liver doesn't explode!)

So, i've been trying to master mixing bean flour with vital wheat gluten, since 2011. i've had some success with a VERY fast rise, red bean cinamon rolls, navy pitas, lentil french loaves...

I actually might have asked this before, but i have trouble with the gluten breaking down, so i have to race to get it leavened in like 30 minutes, AND baked to set it. hit and miss success...

But i REALLY want a good lentil sandwhich loaf for vegie sandwhiches, well spinach anyway....

and to my question, would the fact bean flour would have a ph around 5, and wheat flour 6.5-7, cause the gluten to break down? and how would calculate how much food grade lye to baking soda to add, to get it to 7 or so? and would one of those cheap soil ph meters work if i shoved it into the dough to check the ph?

I have no idea the answer to your actual question... But are you stuck on having a lentil loaf? SWMBO made a 100% buckwheat loaf that came out pretty good for a sandwich loaf... And I do a 100% rye sourdough that works pretty good for cheeses and and spreads and stuff (not really sandwich sized, unless you like small sandwiches... :ghostly: )

The "doughs" are more like a "batter" before baking so they come out innitially more like the consistency of a zucchini bread ore banana bread but stiffen up a bit as the baked loaf loses moisture...

If you really want lentils, then I got nuthin'....:bigmug:

i can allready make noodles with a kitchen aid pasta roller...cook and serve in chicken broth, with some chili powder..makes a great split pea soup...but more fun then mush, twirling them up on the fork is great!

but i need to be able to pump the air into strong gluten, to make it a complete meal with veggies, and maybe fruits?

but the gluten starts breaking after 30 or so minutes? the noodles work with the roller, i don't have to wait for yeast to work....

here's an old pic of my navy bean spinach pita...

pita spinach sandwich.jpg

and my small red bean cinnamon rolls..

redroll.jpg

but you can kinda get my cooking style...the problem with loaf bread, is it takes too long to rise to a good size :(

i've been trying for like 10 years to get it down!

But i REALLY want a good lentil sandwhich loaf for vegie sandwhiches, well spinach anyway....
My 2 cents: stop eating anything bread related. You'll get used to it. You don't need a sandwich. I get more than enough carbs from beer, so I haven't eaten any carbs for about 16 months now and feel much better. Your results may vary so do what works for you.
:mug:

My 2 cents: stop eating anything bread related. You'll get used to it. You don't need a sandwich. I get more than enough carbs from beer, so I haven't eaten any carbs for about 16 months now and feel much better. Your results may vary so do what works for you.
:mug:

i like my beans, and ferment my beer dry. i don't mind carbs if they come with nutrition. but bean soup is boring, i have fun with bean flour, just a really potent flavor, that needs to be lightened.

just reviving an semi old thread....so no bakers here? ;)

with all the knowledge of exact temp, ph water chemistry for "liquid" bread, maybe i should search out a bread forum?

i've been wondering recently, which is what brought me back here. maybe a bigger loaf pan? but i can't seem to find one.......something like 9x4x7-8? anyonme ever see something like that?

and another thought i've always had, maybe the gluten gets streched to tight because it's mixed with usually about 70% bean flour? maybe a dough relaxer?

so i'm reviving this again....i have a bread machine now! i thought it was the secret weapon i needed, because i got to successes out of it. back to back, then it stopped working? if i'm mixing 7oz's split pea flour with 5ozs vital wheat gluten and have the machine knead the dough for 15-20 minutes, is it possible i'm over kneading and that's why the loaf colapses when it goes to bake? it seems to rise fine, then when the heat gets turned on it deflates? (the loaves that worked, made great grilled cheese sandwhiches though!)

Back