OK ... So I got my first 5 gallon batch done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightstalker

Reaction score
Now I need to know something. I have a B-day coming up in a few days. I have the Brewers Best 5 gal kit. What would yall recommend as the next piece of equipment to buy, make, or ask for LOLOLOL. I dont mind making stuff if possible. FYI .. I have the kit and my SS pot. Thanks and feel free to send me whatever it is you suggest I need for a Welcome to the Forums B-day gift :tank:

PS. I tried to search for something similar to this but my God there was a TON of stuff to go through and every thread I had tried so far was NO where close to what I was looking for.

Your pot big enough to do a full boil in? If not I'd ask for an 8-10 gallon pot, hopefully your friends like you a lot. Beyond that, a wort chiller or extra carboys/better bottles

I would recommend a pot for full boils, a turkey fryer set up if your going the full boil route, then a wort chiller. After that I would start looking to control fermentation temps.

Dang if it isnt the wording there Sudstud ;), thanks for the link.

For the other answers. My pot is not big enough for full boils. Right now I am doing half boils.I have a turkey fryer(burner). As for the wort chiller I think I will probably go with the DIY. Doesnt seem to be a ton of savings but every little bit counts. I guess these two things will be very important if I ever go AG. I am doing I guess what is considered partial right now. At least if my understanding is correct. I steep for 10-30 minutes depending on the recipe.

Guys I truely appreciate all the advice and this site for giving us a place to get it.

Oh I forgot to do this too. This as I said was my first 5 gallon batch that I did myself. So naturally I had to take some pictures. It was a Brewers Best Falconers Flight EIPA (Extra IPA) its what the box said??? This seems like a really dark IPA. More like a brown ale color if you ask me. I will see what yall think.
Anyways dry hopped and then first glass. I couldn't wait LOLOL .. 1 week in the bottle and it was driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!! Anyways it was cloudy which I expected along with the light carbonation but intense hop aroma and flavor, not nearly as bitter as I thought it was going to be as it advertised 70. But a damn good beer. Then the next are a weeklater and letting it set in the fridge for 4 days. Still not extremely clear but is better and much better carb and head retention. Even some laciing :rockin: Cant wait as we are going to have some people over and it looks like we may be brewing 3 batches this weekend LOLOLOL :rockin: :tank: Hopefully my beer drinking family will enjoy the beer.

dryhop.jpg

IMG_20120216_180615.jpg

IMG_20120221_192626.jpg

IMG_20120222_183404.jpg

Looks Tasty! My first brew is still fermenting, going to check the SG at 14 days on sunday.

Bonnarooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Brewers Best kits are not partial mash. They are just steeping grains. The only thing you get from the grain is color and none of the sugars.

I have been doing the same kits. My next step is partial mash. Just have to figure out which style I want. Decisions, decisions.

To see what partial mash is all about check this out.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

So I guess I really do not understand. Obviously he is using A LOT more grain but in order for it to be partial mash. Is all I have to to do is dunk the grain again in 170 degree water. NOOB question I am sure. I thought partial was using some grain AND extract. And then extract brewing was extract ONLY. Either way this beer is a hit. My brother-in-law flipped his lid. He said its in his top 5 easy LOLOL.

I have my second 5 gallon batch going. A BB Kolsch kit .. something for my BMC beer drinkers to try. Airlock is going NUTS.

Latest posts

Back