Ok guys, brewing my first 5 gallon extract batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
The recipe says to boil 2.5 gallons of wort then add 3 gallons of cold water after boil. What happens if I just boil all 5 (or 6) gallons and cool down after boil? Thanks!

The recipe you are using probably assumes you don't have a big enough kettle to do that. There is nothing wrong with boiling the full volume. In fact, many would recommend doing so if you have the kettle capacity. There is an advantage to cooling the wort down when topping up with cold water.

I would read up on adding the majority of the extract towards the end. It can help with keeping the color lighter due to the extract caramelizing.

I highly recommend reading through the John Palmer book. As a beginner, it and these forums were a life saver.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1

The recipe you are using probably assumes you don't have a big enough kettle to do that. There is nothing wrong with boiling the full volume. In fact, many would recommend doing so if you have the kettle capacity. There is an advantage to cooling the wort down when topping up with cold water.

I would read up on adding the majority of the extract towards the end. It can help with keeping the color lighter due to the extract caramelizing.

I highly recommend reading through the John Palmer book. As a beginner, it and these forums were a life saver.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1

Thanks, I just ordered the book :mug:

I am a Partial Mash brewer, so I use Extracts as well. I mash 3 gallons and add the remaining water to sparge my grains (usually end up with about 5-6 gallons in my 28 qt(7 gallon) pot. I add my extracts LME or DME with around 30 minutes left in the boil to avoid carmelization. I used to just boil 3-4 gallons and add cold water to bring my temps down but a wort chiller is much more efficient and quick to do that so no need to add the extra water at the end

Back