OK for a Strong Scotch Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CButterworth

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at an extract based Strong Scotch Ale. How does this sound? It is scaled for a 5.5 US gallon batch with a 90 minute boil. According to Beersmith, it falls within range of a Strong Scotch Ale. However, I have never before brewed anything with such a high OG.

My plan is to prep it this coming weekend, do a single stage fermentation for a couple of weeks, into a corny keg with maybe 2 volumes of CO2 served at 54F. However, I do not plan on drinking it until mid-December!

I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

12 lbs Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)
11.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
4.4 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
2.6 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM)
2.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0
1 pkg Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)

Thanks,
Charlie

Hey, I'm Charlie from CO too! We must be related.

What SG did beersmith give you? Make sure you have a ton of healthy yeast for this bad boy, way more than one packet will give you! With Scotch ales, the longer they sit, the better they get.

I brewed a strong Scottish ale before, did a 2.5 gallon batch, I'd have to look up my recipe and notes. I enjoyed it but it really wasnt for everyone a number of people didn't like it. I used smoke malt as well even though technically its not used in the style, I went much lighter on the hops for a less balanced / more sweet brew.

If your only pitching one vial of yeast you'll definitely need to make a starter for this brew, 2 Liters or more. Make sure you aerate the wort too, I usually fill 1/3 of my carboy cap it and shake it vigorously get to 1/2 full do it again and then top it off. Yeast nutrients may be useful for something this big as well.

I have the OG showing as 1.079 and a bitterness of 26.8 IBU's. I may drop the bitterness a touch, but don't want it tasting too sweet.

To ColoHox: we may be related, but only if you were born and spent your childhood in northern England!

Thanks for the advice. I will use two sachets of yeast too.

Charlie

After looking at my recipe you're ok at that IBU you're probably at the lowest you want to go. Mine was 8.25%, 22 IBU and that ended up being a little too sweet. My smoke malt was at 4.5% of the malt bill, it could have gone up more as well.

You can save some money and just make a starter vs getting more yeast.

Back