Oh No!!! maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelshooter

Reaction score
I just racked my first brew (a porter) to a keg after a week in the primary and thought I would give it a taste to see how I was doing. I knew it would be flat and it wouldn't be much to the taste buds yet but I'm afraid something has gone wrong. I can taste the porter but there is no body and there seems to be a taste of vinegar. I believe I was very careful about sanitation and a friend says that I should just let it sit and it will be OK. I’ve got it in the keg with 15 lbs of co2 on it sitting in about 50 degrees. I thought I would check on it in a couple of weeks and see what I have then.

Ideas?

I really am looking forward to starting on an IPA but I want to make sure I’m doing this right.

Also I’m looking for a recipe for something akin to Bells Two Hearted Ale. Any Ideas there?

I could really use all of your insight.

You moved it way too soon if you're not using a secondary. Let it sit for at least a month before you mess with it again

In the future, you might think about the old 1 2 3 method to avoid these problems.

Do you have a secondary? If not, no biggy, just keep it in the primary for 2 full weeks, 3 or more is usually no big deal either.

It will make a huge difference.

You will still have green beer for at least a week or two after kegging but it will minimize your time this way.

I brew 10 gallon batches and always stick the second corny keg into the garage fridge for a month or two and you will be astounded how much better your beer is after it has aged a month or two.

We are here to help one another, feel free to ask questions anytime.

Cheers,

knewshound

I just recently bottled my second batch, a porter. At the time I racked to secondary (after about 10 days in primary) it tasted very sharply of alcohol, and very bitter; nothing else.

When I tasted it after 12 days in secondary the flavor had improved immensely. It had a sweet malty flavor with a pleasant bitter bite and finishing with a chocolate flavor that hadn't even been detectable after 10 days.

So, my experience is that everyone is right; let your brew condition for awhile and you'll be surprised at how much better it gets!

Back