Oh, BALONEY!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temptd2

Gadget Gal
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Or bologna, or however you care to spell it! :)

Just made a batch of it. I have a nice Grizzly 5 pound sausage stuffer on order, but it's actually "not in stock" at the moment so I wait...patiently...not!

Figured what the hey, I can make something anyway, so referred to my new sausage-making book and made the beef/pork recipe they have in there.

When it was emulsified, I smoothed it as best I could into a loaf pan, stuck my probe thermometer into it and attached the cord to the digital readout unit, covered with foil, and stuck the works on a rack over boiling water, and steamed that sucka to 160*.

Let it cool, refrigerated overnight, sliced on the electric slicer. HA! Oscar Mayer - you and your unidentifiable pork and beef parts are no longer welcome in THIS house! Even KotC (King of the Castle) admitted that while he didn't expect to like it - he does, as much as the beloved OM stuff he remembers from his childhood.

Next time I'm gonna up the sweetener just a TINY bit, which I think will give it a little more of the OM flavor, but overall - me happy! And if my sausage stuffer arrives - maybe I won't end up with the little air pockets next time.

Ended up with just over 3 pounds of this, and hey - it's already sammich-shaped too! :rockin:

bologna 2-22-14.jpg

I make venison bologna every year. Usually in 20 pound batches. I put the stuffing attachment on the end of my grinder and go directly into the one pound tubes during the 2nd grind. Then in the smoker they go til they hit 160 then chilled individually wrapped and frozen in vacuum bags. Turns out awesome and people love it.

That sounds so good! Wish I had access to some venison.

Once I finally get my Grizzly sausage stuffer - I want to make this into the tubes. AND smoke it! :)

So do you put the spices into the second grinding then?

How'd you do the emulsification?

I used my Cuisinart food processor. My batch was 1.5 pounds of ground chuck and 1 pound ground pork butt, plus seasonings and stuff. I ran one half of that mixture in the Cuisinart with 1/2 cup crushed ice for 30 second intervals until it got to 50*. Smoothed that in the pan, repeated for the second half. Meat was at about 34* to start with. Took under 3 minutes to emulsify it.

It wasn't baked, it was steamed - stuck my digital temp probe into it, snake the cord out to the digital readout, covered the pan tightly with foil, put in a rack in an oval roaster, covered and let it get up to 160* internal temp. Took about an hour. I'm anxious to do it again with some pimiento-stuffed olives in it, maybe some pistachios too! :)

That sounds so good! Wish I had access to some venison.

Once I finally get my Grizzly sausage stuffer - I want to make this into the tubes. AND smoke it! :)

So do you put the spices into the second grinding then?

Yep. Grind once then spread it out on the tabletop then throw seasoning all over it. Give it a good mix with my hands then back in the grinder with the tube attachment on it. I usually do the coarse plate for the first grind then the small plate for the stuffing. Works great. FYI I use a LEM .5 HP Big Bite grinder. I usually grind anywhere from 8-14 deer a year with it and have no complaints at all. I think the most I have done in a day is like 75 lbs.

Yep. Grind once then spread it out on the tabletop then throw seasoning all over it. Give it a good mix with my hands then back in the grinder with the tube attachment on it. I usually do the coarse plate for the first grind then the small plate for the stuffing. Works great. FYI I use a LEM .5 HP Big Bite grinder. I usually grind anywhere from 8-14 deer a year with it and have no complaints at all. I think the most I have done in a day is like 75 lbs.

I bet it's delicious - but how the heck are you getting THAT many deer in a year? I'm officially VERY jealous now!

I bet it's delicious - but how the heck are you getting THAT many deer in a year? I'm officially VERY jealous now!

The state of MD has 999,999,999 problems but deer bag limits ain't one. I'm allowed 34 deer a year total between bow, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. And I hunt em all. :D

Maybe not much, but some...

It isn't just the taxes, but the oppressive atmosphere. Maybe someone who lives there can explain it better but I think Stalin would feel right at home.

Yea that about sums it up. I live in Southern MD on the Chesapeake Bay but MD govt is controlled by the big 3 (PG, Baltimore and Montgomery) so we get stifling gun laws, terrible tax rates, and unfavorable new laws just about every session. MD is a may issue state where a permit is impossible to get for the average citizen, they just started taxing rain (no sh*t), and they outlawed "assault weapons" (whatever those are) last year. So yeah, we used to make fun of Cali for being bad, but we are getting worse every day. Makes me sad cuz I'm born and raised here. But SC looks better every time I search for jobs there.

Oh and we have one of the highest housing costs in the nation.

Taxing RAIN? For REAL? How the hell does THAT work?

CA is really great on the CCW - every COUNTY (and there are 58 of them) has their own set of rules about issuing. :rolleyes:

Yea..............So it's actually a tax based on the amount of impervious surface on property you own that is supposed to go towards cleaning up the bay, etc etc. The though is that rain runs off impervious surfaces (roofs, driveways, tennis courts, etc) then ends up in the bay bringing pollution with it. But I have little faith the money will be utilized correctly as this is exactly how they got the flush tax through (Oh look we're gonna save the bay!!) and that money was supposed to upgrade wastewater treatment plants (which are still subpar and flood out with every large rain).

Forbes article on rain tax: http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbrown/2014/01/03/when-it-rains-it-pours-tax-dollars-in-maryland/

But on the bright side I'm going to WV to hunt pheasants this weekend :ban:

Back