OG well below target...can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
I fired up my single tier keggle system for the first time yesterday. I brewed a 5gal Celebration clone with 13lbs of grain. I had an issue with mash that has lead to low efficiency.

I was having trouble maintaining mash temp in the 40deg day so I engaged the pump with inline temp probe and fired up the burner whan needed to keep it stable.

The inlet (under the false bottom) got clogged. Dammit!!:( The only thing I could think of was to dump the contents into my trusty retired 10gal cooler with bazooka screen.

I was able to maintain proper mash temp for the rest of the process.

Here's the problem, my actual preboil gravity was 1.035 (1.041 predicted) and my post boil gravity was 1.047 (1.064 predicted).:(

When I cleaned the problematic mash tun I found 1-2lbs of grain UNDER the false bottom.

Questions:
1) The beer is currently fermenting. Can I do something to get the ABV back to IPA range (add belgian sugar or boiled malt?)

2) Could my OG 1.047 reading be inaccurate? I mean, I was only 0.006 off in of the preboil gravity(1.035/1.041) . Why after boil am I 0.017 off (1.047/1.064)? That doesn't seem linear.

3) Is it wise to use a keggle tun in 40deg temps?

4) Is it wise to engage recirc pump while stiring mash to maintain temp?

This sucks....and I don't want to repeat.

I had the same problem. I did an all-grain that should have been 1.08 OG, and got 1.065 using a rubbermaid mash-tun with braided SS filter.

I had the same problem. I did an all-grain that should have been 1.08 OG, and got 1.065 using a rubbermaid mash-tun with braided SS filter.

The cooler wasn't my problem, I've always reached my target OG using it in the past.

I'd like to know if this will be an enjoyable 4.7% lawn mowing beer, or if I need to "save" it by adding fermentables now.

I'm sure it will taste good, but will be an extremely hoppy APA - not an IPA. In the future, if you can measure pre-boil gravity, you could keep some DME on hand to add to make up the gravity points missing - or adjust the hopping downward to maintain the same intended balance (IBU/SG ratio).

At this point - enjoy it!

Re: Keggle - I do BIAB in one and live in MN. I brew in the garage with open doors = much colder than 40's. I just suck up the fact that I need to heat it part way through to keep the temps where I want them, and try to insulate by wrapping reflectix and blankets around it when not under fire.

Good luck!

I was just researching session IPA (or perhaps pale). It looks like I'll have a very expensive, light body, 64 IBU, 4.7% pale ale?

I appreciate the idea of having DME on hand to adjust. I just never thought it would happen to me....

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best as they say.

I had a Baltic Porter that I had miserable efficiency with. I boiled 2lbs dme in .5gal water, cooled, and added to the fermenter about 24 hours into active fermentation. It worked for me, but you do risk infection (but I think it is a very small risk if you are sanitary).

Should I retire the keggle mash tun? How did I end up with 1-2lbs of grain under the false bottom (climax, hinged)?

Strike water in, grain in, dough-in, check temp, good, let sit 10min, check temp, too low, turn on march pump and burner, stir vigorously.

My suspicion is the stirring. Perhaps I was too rough. Should I have stirred at all?

Back