OG was 1.050...should be 1.035

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertag

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not totallly new to homebrewing, so when I miss my OG by I lot I'm a little concerned. I have been doing extract w/ steeping grains for several years and never had such a nasty tasting wort. It usually tastes sweet. My current brew hit an OG of 1.050 and the recipe gave a value of 1.035.

It's a Pineapple pale ale with 2 oz cascades bittering & 1 oz hallertauer aroma. When I tasted the wort from the thief it tasted horrible. I still have dry hops to add and the pineapple in secondary. I wonder if the sweetness of the pineapple will kill the bitterness. Although I don't know since pineapple is an acidic fruit.

What was the recipe in terms of fermentables? It's really hard to miss the OG on an extract recipe...
It's possible you didn't stir it enough after adding yout top-up water and that's the reason for the super high gravity.

5 gal batch

4 lb LME
1 lb DME
1 lb Crystal Malt

I did get a bit of trub sucked up. I'm betting that might be the taste??? But still doesn't explain the high OG.

I ran it through beersmith.
I'm assuning you steeped the crystal, regardless it doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert itsself to the point of your overage...
If you actually used the quantities it is physically impossible to have gotten an OG over 1.035.....
Partial boil right? You didn't stir enough after you added you top-up water...

I might be the stirring then. I only aerated the carboy after adding the wort and didn't aerate after adding the top-up water. Let me go give a good shake. Hopefully that helps.

I might be the stirring then. I only aerated the carboy after adding the wort and didn't aerate after adding the top-up water. Let me go give a good shake. Hopefully that helps.

No need to shake. The yeast will find the sugar and your beer will be all mixed up by the time fermentation has taken place.

Well I checked the gravity today and it's at 1.012. The nasty taste I had after brewing is gone and now has a pleasurable hop bite. It must not have mixed well with my top off water before I took a gravity reading and initial taste.

Back