OG reading concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmaddux

Reaction score
I recently purchased American bock from truebrew. Followed the instructions to a T with one exception of adding 1/2 lb of brown sugar just to boost the og. When I took my OG reading it SHOULD be between 1.052-1.053. You would think that adding the sugar on top during the boil it would be closer to 1060. Its only showing 1040. Where did I go wrong? 5 gallons, maybe 5.2 gallons at the most.

I have been using 5gal buckets and mixing but bought a glass jug and its my first use of it so I can see now that I didnt mix it enough. Any suggestions on how to mix when using glass with such a small opening compared to the 5 gal bucket which I can use my big stirring stick?
Also, after a couple of weeks the fg should read right, right? Thanks for the link and help so far.

I recently purchased American bock from truebrew. Followed the instructions to a T with one exception of adding 1/2 lb of brown sugar just to boost the og. When I took my OG reading it SHOULD be between 1.052-1.053. You would think that adding the sugar on top during the boil it would be closer to 1060. Its only showing 1040. Where did I go wrong? 5 gallons, maybe 5.2 gallons at the most.

You do need to make sure you mix it very well.

Other than that: Did you temp correct your hydro reading? If all that is good, you didn't boil it long enough or added too much water.

As far as a couple week for FG - it depends. If you're fermenting cold, then it will take longer. If your yeast is strained, it could stop.. etc.

Under the right circumstances you can hit FG in a couple days. It just depends.

Back