OG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyWaters

Reaction score
I tried a recipe from the Joy of Homebrewing a couple of days ago. The recipe saidt the the Original gravity would be around 1.085. Mine was 1.066. That seems like a big difference to me. Any ideas what would cause that type of difference in the reading? I adjusted for temperature of the wort.
Thanks

6.6lbs of Brewferm Trappist Triple kit extract
2lbs of light dry
1lb clover honey
1 oz Stryian Goldings
Strong Belgian ale yeast

ideas?

You should be about 1.066 without the honey. Did you compensate for temp when you took the reading? Did you remember to add the honey? :)

Is there possibly an ingredient? Cause even with the lb of honey you should be no higher than about 1.076. Although 1.087 is in line for a 4.5 us gallon batch. Perhaps the recipe batch size was different?

relax dont worry have a homebrew

did you measure your top off water? maybe you used a bit too much?

Im sure it will still taste good maybe just a little lighter than intended

I think that might be it. I probably topped it at about 5.25 gallons so I could have some extra to measure and still fill up the secondary to the top. Thanks for the responses. As long as it tastes good, I'm cool.

MuddyWaters said:
I think that might be it. I probably topped it at about 5.25 gallons so I could have some extra to measure and still fill up the secondary to the top. Thanks for the responses. As long as it tastes good, I'm cool.

I bet that recipe is for a 4 gallon batch. A few of the recipes in that chapter that use pre-hopped kits + extras are smaller batches.

i checked the recipe in question and it is for 5 gallons, but the estimated og is 1.080-1.084, so 1.066 isnt that far off. try calibrating your hydrometer, it could be off, i recently checked mine in water and its off by 2 degrees.

Latest posts

Back