OG correction for pitching onto yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
I brewed a est. 1.090 Imperial Stout. Because of my BIAB kettle size limitations, I was forced to mash at a super thick 1.05qt/lb. Obviously I did not get good sugar extraction so I was expecting my OG to be a little low, but I measured a 1.078. One of the reasons I think I was so low is because I pitched onto a large yeast cake from my previous batch. My question is how much do you think a yeast cake would dilute the OG reading and if you had to guess what my actual OG is given I took the reading after I mixed the cake and wort?

I brewed a est. 1.090 Imperial Stout. Because of my BIAB kettle size limitations, I was forced to mash at a super thick 1.05qt/lb. Obviously I did not get good sugar extraction so I was expecting my OG to be a little low, but I measured a 1.078. One of the reasons I think I was so low is because I pitched onto a large yeast cake from my previous batch. My question is how much do you think a yeast cake/trub would dilute the OG reading?

None. A hydrometer measures dissolved solids. Trub and yeast are all non-dissolved
For the future, one of the best things you can do is measure your SG toward the end of the boil and keep some DME on hand. 1 lb. of DME in a 5G batch will add about another 8 points, and would have gotten you just about where you wanted to be.

I wouldn't expect a yeast cake to lower the sugar concentration until about a day after. If you measured the gravity right after adding the wort from your brew kettle you just had bad extraction from the bigger grain bill. It happens.

If there was leftover beer mixed in with the yeast cake it would dilute the gravity a little bit. But unless you left like a half gallon of beer on the yeast cake or something I can't imagine it would have that much of a noticeable impact.

I wouldn't expect a yeast cake to lower the sugar concentration until about a day after. If you measured the gravity right after adding the wort from your brew kettle you just had bad extraction from the bigger grain bill. It happens.

Yeah I really wanted to brew this so I just tried it expecting bad extraction. 11.5lbs in a 4 gallon kettle BIAB is not advised in case you were wondering :D

None. A hydrometer measures dissolved solids. Trub and yeast are all non-dissolved
For the future, one of the best things you can do is measure your SG toward the end of the boil and keep some DME on hand. 1 lb. of DME in a 5G batch will add about another 8 points, and would have gotten you just about where you wanted to be.

I've never used DME to raise OG, does this add body and flavor or just for bumping ABV a little?

If there was leftover beer mixed in with the yeast cake it would dilute the gravity a little bit. But unless you left like a half gallon of beer on the yeast cake or something I can't imagine it would have that much of a noticeable impact.

It was a pretty huge cake. There was not much beer from what I could tell, I racked as much as I possibly could and even racked a little of the cake as to not overpitch. It was definitely mostly yeast and trub rather than beer

I've never used DME to raise OG, does this add body and flavor or just for bumping ABV a little?

DME can add flavor depending upon which one you use. There is extra light and Pilsen light, about 2°L, to extra dark and special dark, 90°L, depending on the manufacturer naming.

DME will not add to body because it is 1000% fermentable.

Latest posts

Back